Maybe

I know my limits, I know my mind, I know me.

(~'´'~)

Being on a private jet was new to Diane. She’s never been on anything other than a regular one story plane, excluding the first class trip she took to England. It really helped the excruciating sound from taking off and landing.

She didn’t sleep the entire way there. It was a bit faster than the last time since it was a jet but still took hours. Her phone had no real service up in the air but she did take some nice pictures of the view outside of the window.

Ms. Z observed her most of the time, finding Diane to be quite interesting. Seeing how Diane only knew Ms. Z, sometimes, the girl would show her the pictures she really liked.

Ms. Z would simply smile or nod at the pictures. They both ate on the plane, Diane having steak and fries while Ms. Z had fish and chips.

Landing was harder to endure for Diane. She gripped the arm rests and immediately missed Tommy holding her hand. She missed his comforting voice and laugh. She would’ve kept thinking about him if it wasn’t for the wheels hitting the ground. At least she didn’t pass out this time.

Diane grabbed her small luggage and followed Ms. Z to the base of operations.

“We have quite a few officers here for search and rescue but not enough to show results to make sure that the few search and rescue camps in America stay funded. A good amount of people, people with authority, disregard America and say to let it burn.” Ms. Z turned around, making Diane stop.

“I disagree.” She turned back around, entering a tall building through the revolving doors.

The two of them entered. Ms. Z walked through with a clear path in mind while talking, Diane walked behind her, looking at everything she could observe.

There was a large counter with a few people behind computers. It seemed like they were in a lobby, the elevators a bit off to the side along with a set of stairs.

“Now, this hotel is cleared from top to bottom of zombies or anything hostile. It is a satisfactory place to house survivors and treat the cured. Make sure there’s nothing wrong with them since all in all, everybody will be moved out of America to a setting of their choice if no family is found.” This setup wasn’t the worst, Diane thought. Considering what was said about funding and the lack of soldiers, at least they weren’t working in a dire environment.

“And my job is to get these rooms filled up?” Diane asked. Ms. Z turned around, smiling.

“Precisely!” She turned back around, they had stopped in the back room of the lobby. A few soldiers getting prepped to go outside looked at Diane with an odd face but she didn’t notice right away until she observed her surroundings once again.

“Now, you will have your own room down here, on the first floor. I suggest you go set down your belongings as I will be stopping by to bring you back here.” Ms. Z said. She walked away from Diane, now talking to someone else.

Diane stood there for a moment. The noises were finally allowed to be processed in her mind.

“Why’s there a kid here?”
“Maybe just got cured, one of the first here but look behind her left knee, probably just getting a room.”

Right, she didn’t exactly hide any of her bites with makeup or clothing. Whatever, she had to find her room. Diane thought about asking Ms. Z about where it was but she already knew it was on the first floor, she didn’t want to ask for everything.

Diane found her room in about five minutes, there was a sign on a door, spelling out Diane’s full name. She walked in, looking at the room and taking it in.