Listen... or don't

Animals never really liked Diane ever since she got bit. It was like they could smell or sense what she was and they hated it. However, animals never got close. They simply kept their distance, hissing, growling, or barking at her to stay back.

(~'´'~)

A week passed. Diane went back to the same military base five times in that week. She always had the option to bring people and every time she went, she had, at least, two friends with her.

Diane would be requested to come back for reasons to do with the cure. She's learned more about how her blood contributes to it.

From the sample they took, the doctors and scientists have taken the part of her blood that allows it to infect and modified it to help the process of the cure travel through the body quicker. Still painful but not as slow when turning back.

They've tried to find out exactly how her red blood didn't allow the green blood to get past her neck but it was all weird since when introduced to any type of zombie virus, it wouldn't stand a chance against it.

They tried to test more but when they tried to take another sample of red blood the next day, Diane nearly passed out. Dr. Rilee concluded that her red blood was the safeguard against her brain and depleting it could cause major issues so she was the one who decided to give Diane at least a week before asking for another sample, besides, they still had her green blood to work with.

That, and also, Schlatt wouldn't stop threatening anybody who came up to Diane with a syringe. Schlatt was always one of the friends that came along with Diane to the base. Some of the others wouldn't have time but he never wasn't there when Diane left Tommy's side.

Tommy went there and found it fascinating. He liked Dr. Rilee, she seemed to take into account Diane's health, despite her different biology.

Ms. Z would be there most times but never stayed around Diane as much as she did the first time the girl went there. It was like she already made her point and didn't need to really keep interacting with them.

Especially when Schlatt always gave her a death glare whenever she came into his view. Ms. Z never really did it, she either ignored him or gave a small smile in return. Diane couldn’t tell if she liked how he didn’t like Ms. Z or if it was gonna be a problem at some point.

The last time Diane went to the military base, she was alone. But she was just going there because she’d forgotten Tommy’s hoodie. The girl didn’t tell anybody she went because she would just be gone for less than an hour. Besides, Tommy was always encouraging Diane to get out since he knew she never really stayed inside unless she had something to do.

“Ah, Ms. Nuñez, I thought you weren’t scheduled to come in a few days.” Ms. Z said, handing somebody her clipboard.

“Yeah, no, I wasn’t. Just came to get my hoodie.” Diane said, nervously chuckling a little bit just in case she really wasn’t supposed to be here.

“Why, of course, can’t have you going cold, can we?” Ms. Z smiled at the girl and offered to help, which Diane accepted. They spent a good ten minutes looking around the waiting area until Diane sighed with worry before pointing over to the central room, normally filled with scientists and test tubes and observations of zombies from safe distances.

She walked over while Ms. Z stood up, lingering behind her instead but much slower than her usual pace.

Diane pushed open the doors to see men and women in standard military uniform. Many of them were sitting on table tops or on the floor. Immediately, the complaints festered into Diane’s ear.