Parents

Parents are supposed to be there for you through almost every step of the journey. Supposed to hold your hand when times get rough, give you a push when you need it, they’re also supposed to know when to let go. Why do they let go?

(~'’'~)

The car ride was mostly filled with silence, Tommy tried to talk to the driver but they didn’t bother responding. 

The way back to his house took at least an hour yet only checked his phone an hour in. Being stuck in a place with no sort of cellular data for a while makes up a habit of not checking any sort of device. 

The time on the phone showed it being 5:13 AM. Still pretty early but it didn’t matter as the car pulled up to the driveway of his house. The driver got out of the car and stood beside the front of the car while Tommy grabbed the bags and set them on the pavement.

“Could you grab these and put them on the front porch for me, mate? I’ve gotta carry her up the steps.” Tommy politely asked, looking at the adult for a few seconds who looked at the bags and ended up stepping forward and doing what was asked of them.

Tommy nodded, glad they accepted before looking back at Diane and basically making sure she could get on his back and hopefully stay there with minimal help from him. He did well in succeeding before going up the steps and waving bye to the driver.

“Thanks, for the drive and the bags, I mean. Have a good night.” Tommy tried to express his gratitude but all the driver did was stare and nod before heading back to the car. 

Tommy shrugged, turned around and reached on the porch light. There was a spare key on top of there and he sighed out of relief that his parents hadn’t changed that. Surprisingly, their car wasn’t in the driveway so that was the first clue that they still lived here. 

He unlocked the door and all of the nostalgia came back at once. The sights of his living room, the kitchen, even the stairs almost brought him to tears, knowing that his room was upstairs. The smell didn’t change much and the dogs weren’t anywhere to be seen. Nonetheless, he pushed the bags into the living room and left them there. Figuring out what to do next, he started to go up the stairs while now having both of his hands to make sure Diane would stay leaning against his back. He didn’t even notice that he was holding his breath as he stopped in front of his door. The small colorful block letters spelling out ‘TOM’ on his door made him deeply inhale before actually opening the door and looking inside.

And it was almost the exact same. 

His bed was still in the right corner, pushed up against the wall with the window near the headstand. His table consisting of his monitors was still there but instead of minecraft or discord usually being displayed on the screens, it was just blank. He still had his silver play button above his dresser and various other things scattered on the shelves. It seemed like there was some organization of a few papers on his table but not enough to make the room be labeled as something other than messy. 

At least the bed was made and the floor was clear of clutter. At least his computers were still there. At least the door was still labeled with a name. That was all Tommy was thinking about.

At least he always had a room to go back to. 

After marveling at his room for a minute or so, his mind went back to the weight on his back and decided to just try to gently drop Diane onto his bed. Then he would get the bags downstairs and hopefully call the others if he could. Maybe he could call Quackity, the plane ride to Mexico from Florida wasn’t nearly as long as their plane ride in the first place.

“Alright, she’s down. Let me go get the bags.” Tommy said to himself, leaving the room and about to go downstairs until he stopped and looked back to see his parents room. The door was closed and that just gave him even more incentive to look inside. Why were his parents out so late and where were the dogs? Could they have left and never come back? Those intrusive thoughts enabled his feet to take more steps towards the door.