First impressions

First impressions never went well ever since the apocalypse started.

(~'’'~)

‘Excuse me?’ Diane froze, her feet started to glue to the floor as she barely heard the voices coming from Tommy’s monitor. They questioned what was happening and what she could hear from downstairs. 

‘He’s really gonna put me on the spot like this-’

“And I really don’t want you guys to… freak out when you see her.” 

Diane winced at Tommy’s words to his parents. Of course his plan was out of the blue, that’s Tommy for you.

“Her?”

“Ohhh fuck my life.” Diane said, wondering if she should open the door and start walking down or keep overthinking about how his parents took his words into account. Now her feet started to somewhat pace around the room while her index finger went to her mouth to almost gently bite down on. “Tommy, you’re such a dick, don’t let anybody tell you otherwise.” 

Diane walked towards the door and slowly opened it, hearing the voices downstairs more clearly.

“What-What do you mean ‘her’?” Mrs. Simons asked her son. He looked back at the stairs and took a deep breath. 

“D?” Tommy asked, looking back at his parents yet not making eye contact. They were worried until they heard the small footsteps walking down the stairs.

Oh-my-fucking-god-I’m-gonna-murder-that-fucker-” Diane stopped muttering to herself once she caught wind that she was getting too close to his parents to be saying that kind of stuff.

She grew quiet as soon as she made eye contact with Mr. and Mrs. Simons. Instantly, her anxiety sky-rocketed through the roof but tried to play it cool. Truthfully, she was horribly failing on the inside but hey, it’s what on the outside that matters.

Diane actually got to the bottom of the stairs without going through the small idea of tripping and landing on her head so she could be put out of her misery. She walked up to Tommy, who backed away a little from his parents to help Diane ease into the introduction. He stood next to her and put a hand on her shoulder that was closest to him. 

“Mum, Dad… this is Diane. She’s from Florida and doesn’t really have anyone else.” Diane figured that Tommy wouldn’t mention anything about the whole ‘infected’ thing until they actually got to at least know each other a bit more but he didn’t mention it at all at the moment just because he was scared shitless and had no idea how to even start that subject.

It was awkward silence for a mere moment until Diane made sure to stop that right away or at least shift the focus to something else.

“Hi. Tommy, he really missed you guys.” Diane opened up with that as she put her hand out for either of the adults to shake. She hoped that mentioning their son and how he thought about them during the apocalypse would help them like her a bit better. Anything would help given that first impressions are supposedly everything.

Mrs. Simons was the first to shake Diane’s hand. She looked a bit cautious of the girl but it made sense, given the fact that she met her in the very same five minutes she reunited with her only son after eight months. That was when Diane started to scream at everything inside her mind. 

Of course, she was already skilled in the art of faking it till you make it, even if it took the longest amount of time ever. So she kept it together enough to also shake Mr. Simon's hand and nod at the end, backing up a little to get closer to the comfort of Tommy.