Starting over?

I was envious at first. The care and love that was waiting for him here. I knew it was inevitable but seeing or hearing it in person made it harder to feel happy for him when all I wanted to do was feel bad for myself. 

(~'’'~)

Tommy woke up first, surprisingly. He sat up and saw Diane still asleep, the blanket nearly covered her whole face. He chuckled at the sight before carefully stepping over the brunette. 

Weirdly enough, she didn’t startle awake or even show discomfort, she just nuzzled her face more into the pillow in addition to bringing the blanket closer.

It was 5 PM now, it was like everybody took a slightly longer nap since they went to sleep at 8 AM. Tommy walked downstairs, hearing his parents watch something on the TV. His eyes focused on the television as he sat down on the couch beside his father. That’s when his father quickly turned around to see Tommy looking back at him, wondering why he had turned around so fast.

“What-?”

“Don’t sneak up on us like that, Tom! Nearly gave me a damn heart attack!” His father exclaimed while turning back to the TV, shaking his head.

“What?!” Tommy said in a slightly higher pitch voice as if he thought he had done nothing wrong, which he technically hadn’t.

“Why have you walked down the steps so quietly? Every time, you would come running down those stairs like you had somewhere important to be.” Motherinnit talked this time, she didn’t notice Tommy walk down either. 

Tommy looked back at the stairs and down at his feet before finally deciding to look back up at his mother. 

“Do I walk quieter? Maybe I picked that up from Diane.” He shrugged it off, not worrying too much about it since it wasn’t that bad of a trait to have until his mother questioned his statement.

“Does Diane walk quietly?”

Tommy made an amazed face as he turned his entire body to face his mother.

“Does she ever-! She’s scared us and the boys so many times just by popping up from behind and then, she lectures us to be quiet yet she’s the one that scared us in the first place and-!”

“Tom.”

“Yeah?” Tommy’s mouth spoke first before his eyes glanced back at his father, the man’s eyes still looking at the TV.

“She’s still sleeping, isn’t she?”

Tommy was about to simply answer with the truth of ‘yes, she is’ but realized what his father was originally implying of how the starting of his rant was louder than it should’ve been.

“Oh shit, yeah. Don’t wanna wake her up now actually. When we were trying to get on the plane ride here, she got shot in the fucking heart.” Tommy twisted his back and pointed his finger near the upper middle of his back. 

He said that as if it was cool which it was now since she survived though his parents turned back to him in shock. His mother was fast, expecting her son to be joking while his father slowly turned around to be face to face with his son. Either he didn’t care at this point with the surprises or he just wanted Tommy to stop fucking about.

“Pardon?” 

“Yeah! That’s why she’s sleeping longer, I suppose. She doesn’t normally sleep very long.” Tommy was more nonchalant about the whole situation, mainly because he couldn’t take it super seriously with his parents when they didn’t know her very well and wasn’t there when it happened.