We're always living in the present tense

The amount of things that people ignore are bizarre. Car alarms, knocking, zombie growls, cries for help. Even a gunshot. They all assume that it has nothing to do with them. And they’re usually right.

(~’'’~)

Morning came and nobody got much sleep. The reason being of anticipation and hopeful thoughts. For Diane, it was mainly the anxiety of even heading to the rescue camp. Everybody had their stuff packed even if it was just a backpack. Pairs of clothes, accessories or keepsakes. Diane simply had Joe and the outfit that Jayden and Matt picked out for her as well as the pieces of paper that held the numbers of Malakhai and the married couple.

“God, it’s unreal.” Ranboo muttered under his breath while throwing his backpack into the trunk of the car. 

“I know right? We gotta go live in the UK.” Dream said, nudging the tall boy. 

“And Tubbo doesn’t even know what rice is.” Ranboo commented, scoffing at the statement. “Well, he didn’t until Diane cultured him.”

“That doesn’t stop his house from not having any rice when you get there!” Sapnap yelled as he walked by, throwing a few backpacks in another trunk while Ranboo just started fake crying and hiding his face against the car.

“Cheer up Ranboo!” He looked up to see Diane on top of the car with her own backpack in her lap. She tilted her head and gave an innocent smile. “I’m pretty sure zombies are worse than not eating rice.”

Ranboo nodded as she slid off the car.

“You know what you’re gonna do when we get there?” Schlatt asked curiously. Diane turned around and pretended to think about it for a moment. 

“Yeah, don’t worry. I’m prepared.” She said, readjusting her bag on her back before putting it in the backseat. The others figured that Diane should sit in the back since she had been driving as much as Dream and Skeppy. Dream could just lead the two other cars.

Everybody was outside at the moment, talking while putting their stuff inside. Niki was the last one out of the hospital as she walked out and closed the door behind her.

“I think that’s everything. It’s gonna take us a good twenty minutes to get there.” Niki turned back and started walking to the group as Wilbur nodded and turned around.

“Alright boys, you heard her. Let’s go!” Wilbur yelled, making everybody start throwing themselves in the cars though a few did go in the back of the truck.

Diane made a bit of a conflicted face once she saw the hospital growing smaller and smaller from her sight. No turning back now.

She sighed and sat down on the floor of the truck, holding her head for a mere moment. Suddenly getting a bit of a headache but it wasn’t any different from last time she was bit.The worst had passed already but the after effects were still shit. Her backpack was light yet it still felt like it was weighing down on her shoulders.

Maybe it was the pressure of leaving this place. Maybe it was the way they passed by the entrance to her neighborhood. Or the scent that was escaping her nostrils that seemed so nostalgic as it left.

“Hey, you can’t bring the cars inside. Safety precautions.” A deep voice warned the driver, Aka Dream, who didn’t want any trouble and complied. 

When she felt the car slowly come to a stop, she inhaled deeply and looked up. Grabbing a strap that was over her shoulder and stood up in the truck.

“Alright, they said that we gotta get out here and walk the rest. Grab your shit.” Dream dropped the small wall that closed the back to let the others out more easily.