Chapter 1

It had been a week since the whole Garroth, Aaron incident. Garroth was up, well and back to his normal self. Aaron still felt guilty, him claiming it as 'his fault'. Nobody blamed him, no even Garroth. The attention was on Aaron though, but how could it not, we had just found out our friend was an Ultima! I was just as shocked as everybody else, though, I felt relieved at the same time. Relieved I wasn't the only freak on the island, in this group. Ever since I can remember I had, what my father called, "Magical abilities". No, not just a normal ability like smarts or running fast, I could do things witches could do and more just with a flick of my hand. Now see how I said could. My father was never found on these traits I possessed, yet he had a part in why I was like this. He said only one person could explain what I am, but it's too risky to ask them for answers. Confusing, right? I never understood. I said my father never liked my traits, yeah, he doesn't like me either. Both my younger and older brothers are talented in some way, be that smarts or strength. Now you might be thinking 'Zane' well now you know who I am, anyways. 'Zane, isn't being magical special' Not to my father, and on this rare occasion, I agree with him. It is a curse. My father and I would always fight, over school, people, the danger he says I could put my family in. Thats a big one. I can't control these powers of mine, especially when I have strong emotions. My dad was always worried that I would hurt one of my brothers, or even my own mother. Maybe if he had taught me how to work this curse that I wouldn't be a threat! I can't fully blame him though, he doesn't have my abilities and, from what I know, the only person that does know what to do is dangerous. Enough about that, I'm sure somewhere in the future I'll explain the rest, for now let's talk about the present. We were on the boat after getting back from Starlight Wonderland. Aaron had talked to me and Garroth about his proposal plan and asked us to come back to the house with him and his, hopefully soon to be fiancée. Both my brother and I agreed to the journey and were packing our bags. Aaron had already told the rest of the group, Lucinda, Kim, the wolf pack and all the parents where we were heading. "Hey Zane?" I hear my older brother call my name as he walks out of the bathroom, already dressed and drying off his dripping hair and ears. Irene it's weird seeing Garroth with wolf ears. "Yeah" I responded. We both had finished packing our bags, they were by our room door. "What are we going to make for dinner tonight, seeing as we'll have most likely arrived at the house?" the blond questioned. "Aph told me that she knows we have ingredients still at the house, she wants to make a dish for us. If you wanna know what, go ask Aph" I say looking back down at my phone. "Ok, thanks!" A, now dried, Garroth says while trotting out the room. Aph, Aaron, Garroth and I planned on leaving. Ok, ok, I know I said in the future I'd get back to the whole magical powers thing, and you probably didn't think anything would be explained in a while, but there's one thing I must tell you, I get these things I all "jolts" Basically I can feel myself about to do something with the powers, be that shooting ice or even teleporting, and I can do nothing to stop it. Weird, huh. Anyway, I felt one coming on, my hands started to feel cold. I looked at my left hand and saw ice start to form on it. There was a knock at the door. Shit! I thought to myself, seeing as this was terrible timing. "One second" I said while I grabbed a glass, making the water in it freeze, no longer having the feeling of a 'jolt'. I walk over to the door and open it. Aaron stood a foot or two away from me. "Hey, Zane! Just wanted to tell you that our mini boat leaves in half an hour." He says. That was helpful because I had no idea when it was leaving. "Ok, thanks Aaron. Do you know what aphmau's making for dinner, Garroth wanted to know." It took Aaron a second to think. "I think she said it was gonna be baked potatoes. If I'm being honest, I'm excited for it. Aphmau's potatoes are good!" He said, holding the 'o' out to emphasize his point. "Great! Thanks." I say and Aaron walks back down the hall to his room. "Ok, I have thirty minutes. What do I want to do?" I whisper quietly to myself. After a few minutes of thinking, I decide to sit at the front of the boat. As I was walking down the fairly short hallway I felt a hand grab my arm and pull me into a room. Looking up I saw my fathers angry face. "I swear if anything happens at that house while we're not around!" He didn't have to clarify what I was talking about, I knew. The worst part of it is that I know he didn't care if I was in danger. Ha! but can I blame him? as long as Garroth is safe I'm fine. I honestly don't care how well I am. "Garte, I'll try my best not to do anything" I said "You're best is failure" He responds, shoving me back out into the hallway, most likely seeing no point in arguing farther. Common response from him, seeing me as a failure. Why do I have to have this stupid curse? Just why?!