Chapter 16

(Aphmau POV) I woke up facing the ceiling, turning instantly to the side like usual. As expected Aaron was laying right next to me, still asleep. Ever since I've been reunited with Aaron, especially after the GF invaded the house, I've always checked to see if Aaron is next to me. Seeing as he was here and safe, I exit the room and walk over to the kitchen for breakfast. As I assumed, Mrs. Ro'Meave and Mrs. Lycan were talking to each other at the table. Garroth, Zane and Kim were talking in the kitchen. "Good morning," I greeted as I entered the room. "Morning," Garroth said, Zane and Kim following his lead in greeting me. " Hey, Kim, Zane, how are the wounds?" I ask. "My arm's healing up just fine. It's sore sometimes, but fine," Kim states. I turn to Zane. "I'm fine,'' he says. "Are you sure? Last night sounded bad," Kim said. "How do you know about last night?" Zane asked, squinting his eyes a bit. Garroth and Kim looked guilty of something. "Sorry, Zane," was all Garroth said "Oh-Uh-Really?" Zane asked, sounding unimpressed. "I was just looking out for my little brother," Garroth argued. Zane let out a sigh. "It's fine. I kind of assumed that you would break," He said. "Wait! Somebody tell me what's going on because I'm so lost right now," I said, trying to get a grip of whatever was going on. "While Zane was doing the dishes, he almost fainted. I was going to ask Lucinda for a poti- um a cure she might have to heal Zane up, but he made me promise not to," Garroth explained. "And you still did?" I asked with a smile. "Well I didn't get Lucinda to make a cure! Right, Kim!" Garroth said, leaning on Kim to back him up. "That is true," Kim said. "Whatever. It doesn't matter anymore, anyways. I feel amazing today," Zane said. "Well that's good to hear," I hear Aaron voice say from behind me as a pair use my shoulders as a resting spot. "Morning, Aaron," I say, everybody else doing the same. "Mornin'. How is this stuck-inside day going so far?" Aaron said, trying to make a joke out of our situation. "It can't get any worse, can it?" Kim said with a small smile. We all know it can get worse, but none of us want to believe it...(Zane POV) I wish Kim hadn't said that. I felt my hand start to get colder. The thought of everything going south (No pun intended) scared me so much. At that moment all I could think about was the lodge. All the pain that everybody went through. The pain Aaron went through. The fact I forgot my own brother for crying out loud. And through all of that, all I could do was watch behind my green, stupid eyes. I hate myself for everything I didn't do. Looking down, I see a coat of frost starting to cover my hand. "I-Um..I'm gonna grab something from my bed. I'll be right back," I say, shoving my hands in my pockets and walking out the room. "Um...Okay?" I hear Aaron say on the way out. After I get out of view, I bolt down the hallway and into the bathroom. Shoving my hand under the faucet and turning on hot water. *shhsssss* The familiar hissing noise came from my hand as steam rose up. What would dad think? I think to myself, remembering everything that happened the night he yelled at me. After calming down I walk back into the living room. "Hey, Zane. Welcome back," Aphmau says as I walk in. "Hey," I sat down at the table. Everybody but Garte and Mr.Lycan was at the table already. We start eating and talking like we do every morning. A few minutes later Garte and Derek walk in the room. My father- or Garte looks upset, especially at me. Oh, Irene, What did I mess up now? "So, Dad? Any thoughts about what we're gonna do?" Aaron asks after we had finished breakfast. Derek seems to freeze a bit, looking at my father. My father looks back at him before glaring at me. Great! I messed up again and I don't even know why. "For the time being we're going to stay here, Aaron," Derek said. "Garte, Zianna, your mom and I are still trying to find a way to get..all of us to safety. I feel that if we move they might find us," He explained further. "Are you sure that's the best idea?" Lucinda asked. "We're pretty much sitting ducks right now." She says. "Yes. I know and understand that. But I just can't seem to find a way that would get us out safely." The room went silent as we all knew that Derek was being truthful. "Maybe we could escape in groups..?" Aaron suggested. "I know I'm the big issue here so maybe if we could get some of us off it would be easier, and safer, to escape.." Aaron said, a bit of guilt in his voice. "Aaron, you are not an 'issue'," Aphmau said as though she was defending herself. "Aphmau is right," My father said. "We have other problems that are getting in the way," He continues, giving me a cold, quick glance when he says "others". Suddenly I feel a wave of guilt hit me. I realize that the reason that my father is even more annoyed at me than usual is because I'm causing some issue in the escape. Garroth must have noticed my change in mood because he put his hand on my shoulder. I turned to him, seeing his ears standing a bit lower and to the side than usual. I've learned to read werewolf and meif'wa ears and how they move based on emotion. "Hey. You good?" Garroth asks, only loud enough for me to hear as the rest of the group continued to talk about the escape. "Yeah,yeah! I'm....Fine," I say. Garroth gives me a look indicating he doesn't believe me. He's such a good brother. You don't deserve him! "Remember what I told you," Garroth says, cutting my thought off. "You can always talk to me. I'd listen to anything." Garroth continued as we made eye contact. You'd just be bothering him. "Thanks, Garroth,"

(I just want to say sorry for taking so long to get this chapter out. I'll try to get the other one out faster! I also want to say thank you to everyone who's read this story. I never thought I'd even close to 1,000 reads, and it's really cool to have it actually happen!)