Chapter 4

I woke up to the sound of waves chasing against the shore. Turning over, I saw Garroth still asleep. Not surprising, it's...6 am. I think to myself. I wasn't able to fall back asleep so I got up. When I got down stairs I decided to walk to the beach. The sunrise was amazing at Starlight. Nothing like the one back at home. Gosh this is a pretty much perfect vacation. Other than the fact that Garroth almost died...That thought tortured me. Mental images were all I could see when looking at his ears or tail. Maybe that's why it's so odd seeing him like that. What would I have done if he actually did die. Well, I wouldn't be able to do anything, I'd be dead from my father. He would blame me for it, blame me for not being the one to look into Aaron's eyes. I mean, I guess that's why mistakes children are born, to take the blow for a perfect child...or children. In this case I am the mistake and Garroth and Vylad are the perfect children. Shouldn't care anyway. If I died then this curse would be over, besides it's not like many people want me around. I know there are some people who would be devastated if I died, for instance Aphmau, But it would be a lot better than if Aaron or Garroth died. We already took our chance with Aaron..."Hey" I jumped at the sound of the voice, not expecting anyone to be on this part of the beach so early. I turn to see a small black haired girl looking up at me. "Oh, hi Aphmau" I say, after recognizing the face. "Are you ok? You were just staring out at the ocean" she points out to the sun kissed waters. "Yeah, yeah. I'm fine." I feel my hands get colder. Shoot not right now. I think as I cross my arms behind my back, as if I'm hiding something. "Ok if you say so." She says. "How do you feel, Aphmau soon to be Lycan?" I say, raising my eyebrows. Aphmau's face goes as red as fire, probably feeling like that too. Although all of that, she's smiling. "That sounds nice," She says happily. "Yeah, and it is" I responded. "Were you in on this proposal?" Aphmau questions, a smug smile crossing her face. "Maybe, maybe not. Aaron would be the one to give you that answer." I know my hand is covered in a thickish layer of ice. The 'Jolt' is over but I don't want to melt the ice, seeing as I'm not as good at fire as Ice. It should melt on its own if I can stay in the sun for a while. "HUU! Zane look, a sea bunny!" Aphmau says. Sure enough, crawling out from the water is a mint green sea bunny. Aphmau runs over to it and cups it in her hands. Don't ask me how she can do it, I've heard those things are poisonous. "AAAW, ZAAANE LOOK AT IT!!!" Aphmau says "Yeah Aph, it's adorable" as Aphmau aws over the bunny, I took this time to melt the ice. Even though it's dangerous, I'm willing to take the chance. The ice melted pretty fast, I guess it wasn't very layered. "Anyways, why are you down here?" I question Aphmau. She puts the sea bunny down, watching as it scurries off, and turns to me. "I could ask you the same thing." She says, raising an eyebrow. "Well, I couldn't sleep so I came down here." I state my case. "You?" "Same thing, couldn't sleep. When I saw you outside I decided to join you." She smiled. "What time is it?" I ask. Aphmau pulls out her phone. "6:47" Jeez how long was I spaced out for. "Do you want to go inside and make breakfast?" I suggest, which Aphmau agrees to almost instantly. We walk up the house and into the kitchen. "Lets see what we have'' Aphmau says, holding out the 'A' as she looks around. "Oh! What if I made pancakes?" She says, turning to me for approval. "Sounds great, your pancakes are amazing." Aphmau started to grab all the materials for batter, bringing them all to the counter. She started mixing while I kept her company. Aaron soon walked down. "Good morning" He said with a yawn. "Good morning sleepy head" Aphmau responded, taking a break from the mixing and walked over to her new fiance. Her REAL one this time. Not like at the lodge. For Irene's sake, brain! Why did that have to come to mind?! I mentally curse my brain out for ruining my morning. "Zane?" I hear Garroth's voice say. When did Garroth come downstairs? "Hu?" I question. "Did you get enough sleep baby brother?" Here comes Garroth's overprotectiveness. "Yes Garroth, I got enough sleep." I say in a jokingly annoyed tone. "Ok, then pay attention" He says, leaning against the counter next to me. "Ok, what did you say?" Aaron's helping Aphmau with the pancakes. "I said: Do you know when the rest of the group is coming back?" He says, well, more questions. "No, but I think it's soon" I say, thinking if we were ever told a date that would happen. "I'll call mum, she'll be able to tell us." Garroth states. "Pancakes are almost ready!" Aphmau calls even though she doesn't need to, seeing as we're 3 feet away. "Ooh~ Pancakes!" Garroth's tail wags. Still so weird. Thoughts of that first night of Garroth's transformation pop into my head. I couldn't sleep. I was terrified that if I did I'd wake up to him gone. Why do I still think of this stuff? He's alive and well. It's not like I blame Aaron either, he couldn't control it. In a way I had sympathy for him. I know his dad never taught him anything of controlling his eyes with emotion, just like my dad. I snap myself out of my dark thoughts by the smell of pancakes. I suddenly didn't have any craving for food, something I blame on the powers. This kind of thing happens even as a kid. Aphmau placed a plate of pancakes on the table, giving Aaron, Garroth, herself and I a plate too. Aaron and Garroth ate 3 Aph ate 2 and I ate 1. I know it's common for wolves to eat more. Something to do with their bodys. "Thanks for the breakfast baby." Aaron says, wrapping an arm around the small girl. "Hehe, no problem." Aphmau says, hugging back.