Chapter 8

We were at the dock waiting for the boat with our friends and family to come in. Aphmau and Aaron sat at the edge of the dock sticking their feet in the water. Garroth and I stood close by but just out of whisper hearing distance.I'm not sure what Garroth was doing because I was admiring the water. It was so clear you could see the bottom. Little fish darted round and you could see a crab holding onto the wooden pole holding the dock up. "Hey, Zane!" Garroth called. I looked up to see a boat coming closer to us, soon seeing a brown haired werewolf and orange haired girl. Well that's our boat alright. Aphmau and Aaron stood up, joining my brother and I in the middle of the dock. Once the boat had pulled in and a ramp had been placed down everyone came off the boat. "Aphmau!" All the girls screamed as they ran to hug the short girl. Next to exit the ship was my mother, of course hugging me and my brother right off the bat. "Oh, I missed my little boys so much!" She said, extending the 'O' to prove her point more. "It's nice to see you to Mum." Garroth said. I saw my father exit next, which kind of scared me. I knew he'd want to talk to me alone but I didn't want to talk to him, especially alone. Even though Garroth was obviously his favorite child, my father was always formal to everybody, handshakes where his hugs. "Hello Garroth, It's nice to see you again." he said, patting my brother on the shoulder. "Nice to see you too, Dad," My brother responded. He said nothing to me, and I was fine with that. All the girls were asking Aphmau and Aaron how they were, not being specific about the proposal. Aphmau, who had been hiding her hand behind her back, brought her arm up, showing the ring that was placed on her finger. All the girls screeched. "Oh my gosh! Aphmau!!" Lucinda said. "My brother is getting married!" The brown haired Lycan exclaimed, wrapping an arm around Aaron. I looked over to where the parents had settled on the dock. My father still stood straight faced while my mother was hugging Silvana, who had watery eyes. Mr and Ms Lycan were standing side by side smiling. "How about we head back to the house, we can properly talk there." Aaron suggests, getting agreements from everyone. We started walking back, the sound of luggage wheels rolling behind us. Once we were home, all the girls, including Silvana and my mother, walked to the outside porch by the pool. Mr Lycan went to his bedroom, and the rest of us congregated in the kitchen. It had been an hour or two, everything going fine. "Zane" I heard my father say. I turned to him. "Yes father.." I knew what he wanted. "Can I talk to you in the other room, just for a second" I nod, standing up from the table. I follow my dad up to where he sleeps. There are two still packed suitcases on the floor. "Did you do anything?" My dad questions, of course aiming it at me as if I would want to do something. "I did nothing, dad. Why do you always blame me?" I say, raising my voice slightly out of anger. "Maybe because it's always your fault." My dad shoots back. "Well I'm sorry for ruining everything, It's not like I can help it!" I say, speaking louder than before. "Yes you can! If Garroth was like this, he'd be able to control himself." He says, practically whispering the last part. "Well I'm not Garroth! I'm me!" I plead. "You're a waste" Those words put me over the edge. I stormed out of the room and down the stairs. I just needed to get out of the house for a bit. I heard Garroth say something as I passed by him although I didn't pay attention. Once I had gotten out of the house I started walking down to the brick path, not caring where it went. Why do I overreact to these things? I stop when I hear the sound of multiple people talking getting louder. Looking up, I see that I was nearing the boardwalk area. Not knowing where else to go, I kept walking down through the crowd. All I needed was a few minutes to calm down then I'll go back to the house. Yeah, that was the plan, and like plans do, it failed. I looked up at the sky from the bench I had been sitting at. Pinkish purple filled the sky, light clouds mingling around. I started to head home, not wanting to worry Garroth more than I already had. Walking back was surprisingly calming, I wish it had been like this on the way out. When the house was in sight, I took a deep breath and headed on. I walked in the door and, as expected, Garroth was right on top of me. "Where did you go? Why did you just storm out? Are you okay?!" My blond haired brother bombarded me with questions. "Garroth, lay off him. He'll explain why. Right, Zane?" Aaron said from the couch. "I uh, yeah.." I said, trying to think of something to say. "I just needed to get out of the house." I answered the questioning eyes that were staring at me, which wasn't totally a lie. "Yeah, well you could have thought to say something about that! Like, 'Oh, by the way, I'm going out'!" Garroth says, trying to impersonate me. "Sorry, just didn't think about that." I say, looking for a way to get by Garroth. My brother gives me a weird worried-ish look. "You didn't think about that when I asked you where you were going?" Oh shoot, that's what he was saying when I passed by him. "Sorry, I didn't hear you, now can I get by." I say, tilting my head forward to indicate where I wanted to go. "Are you ok, I was right next to you when I said that." Garroth says. I slip by him, heading to the stairs. "Yes Garroth, I'm fine. I just was... distracted." I say, not looking back. I head up to my room and shut the door. I knew dinner would be soon so I didn't get too comfortable. When I had walked in, I saw Aaron, Aphmau, Lucinda, Kim and Mellisa sitting on the couch. My mother and father were probably in their room, same with the Lycans parents. I didn't really know what to do, and I wasn't about to go into my parents room, so I just sat down on my bed and pulled out my phone.