Chapter 11

I open my eyes, seeing the sunrise's orange and gold beams of light shine on the wall. Slowly, I sit up, rubbing my eyes, trying to snap out of the drowsiness. Getting up out of bed and walking down the stairs, I see my father standing in the kitchen with Derek, Aaron's dad. "The two could hurt someone!" I heard my father whisper-yell. I hid behind the corner, eavesdropping. "They've lived with this their whole life. They won't hurt anybody here, but the people that want them will." Derek said, copying the volume that my dad did. "Aaron might have, but Zane has no control over himself." My father says. Well, that's a lie. It might not be much, but I have some. I think. "But he's been living out of your house for years. He has to know what he's doing." Derek asks. "I don't know, but I don't trust him. He's a danger to all of us." My dad says "Aarons secret is out to the rest of us, Zane's isn't." Derek thinks for a second. "Zane's more of a danger than Aaron. It's good his secret isn't out." He says. My dad never told me Derek knew. I decided that I had been listening enough. I walked out from the corner, acting like I had just come down the stairs. Both my father and Derek looked on edge when I walked in the room. "When did you come down stairs?" Derek asked intensely. I give them a questioning look, still acting. "I just came down. Why?" I walk over and grab a glass, filling it with water. "No reason, just business." my father says. I wanted to test to see how they would react if I used my powers, but looked like I didn't mean to. It's stupid, I know, but I'm curious. Holding the water in one hand, I act like I'm looking for something. With the little bit of controle I have, I start to slowly freeze the water glass. I hear a gasp come from both my dad and Derek. I turn to face them, water in hand. "What?" I ask, still seeming clueless. My dad, with a furious expression, darts his fire filled eyes from my face to the cup, trying to get me to look at it. Meanwhile, Derek stared straight faced, but worry filled his eyes. I melted the ice before looking down at the cup, looking back at my father with fake confused eyes. "What?" I ask again. Rachel, Aarons mom, comes walking in the room. "Good morning, Honey. Garte, Zane, good morning to you too." She says. "Good Morning" I say, taking a sip of my warm water. I hate drinking warm water. Rachel walks into the kitchen, starting to make what I think was breakfast for everybody. I see my dad and Derek exchange a look before heading upstairs. "Good Morning!" Aphmau's energetic voice calls. The happy little potato comes prancing into the room, a tired Aaron following behind. "Good morning, Aphmau." Rachel says. "Morning my baby." She greets again, this time too Aaron. "Mom" Aaron groans, holding out the 'O'. "What? You will always be my baby," She says, "You'll be saying that to your kids soon~" Aphmau and Aaron's faces go bright red, Aaron now completely awake. "Good Morn- wow, what happened here?" My blond haired brother asks, entering the room. "Ms. Lycan mentioned kids," I explained. "Please, Zane, call me Rachel. That goes for the rest of you too," Rachel says. "Ok, Rachel," Aaron jokes, slowly fading out of his flustered self. "Aaron, you still call me your mama!" Rachel escames. "Mama?" Aaron questions, the name being less responsible or adult like than mother or mom. "Just be happy that your mom doesn't have a nickname she still calls you," Garroth says, hinting at the silly names our mother came up with for us."Do you not like them, Gar Gar," My mothers voice calls. I look over to see her standing by the wall. "No, No! They're cool, I was just joking," Garoth says frantically. My mom laughs. "Calm down, Gar Gar, I was joking." My mom walks into the kitchen, starting a conversion with Rachel, pitching in on the cooking. I walk out of the kitchen and onto the back patio with Aphmau, Aaron, and Garroth. "Hey, guys. I was thinking, what if we have a big cook out tonight?" Aphamu says. "Sounds nice, But we'd need to get the parents' permission '' Garroth responds. I'm sure they'd say yes, we have nothing else to do," Aaron adds. All three of them look over to me as if I was the one to make the call. "I think they'd say yes, sure," I say, not really sure what else to do. "If we are going to do this, we'll need to get the meat," Garroth states. "Well, hold on. Let's ask the parents before getting our hopes up," Aaron says. "Well, let's ask your moms, they're just in the kitchen," Aphmau says, seeming to get excited. "Sure," Garroth says, following Aphmau as she walks back over to the kitchen. I turn to see if Aaron's going to walk with them too, but he's just staring at me. "What?" I ask. "Are you going to go?" Aaron asks back, not answering my question. "I was waiting for you to go," I explained. "You go first, you're always last," He says. Well, in my fathers mind, I am last. But out of all the times of not wanting to be last, here I do. Being last means there is nobody behind me, so if anything with my powers happens then nobody will see it. "That's fine, you go," I say, holding my hand out. Aaron gives me a confused look before walking forward. He's catching on. This isn't the first time I've felt like somebody was catching onto me, but with both Garroth and Aaron, surely somebody else too, and then there's Derek. What's going on? We walked into the kitchen just in time to hear Aphmau say, "We were wondering if we could do a cookout tonight. We wanted to get your approval first." Rachel looks over at my mom, who returns the look with a smile and a nod. "If it's fine with Garte and Derke, then sure," Rachel says. "Sweet! Let's go ask them," Aphmau says. I remember what had happened a few minutes ago, and what I think my dad and Derek were talking about. It wouldn't be good if Garroth, Aphmau, or even Aaron overheard that. I speed walk, passing Aaron, to get to where Aphamu and Garroth had gone. I make sure that they knock on the door before entering. My dad was standing at a berow, looking mad and uptight. Derek stood only inches away at his side. "Hey, Dad. Hello, Mr. Lycan." Garroth greeted. "We wanted to ask if we could do a cookout. If that's ok with you." Aphmau continued after Garroth. Derek and my father glanced at each other. "Only if it is here, and nobody that isn't staying here," Derek said. All of us were confused on why there were limits to what we could do, but we agreed. We leave the room, walking back down stairs. "So, what did they say?" My mom asks, taking scrambled eggs from a pan and onto a plate. "They said we could do it at the house, nobody else," Aphmau said. My mom and Aphmau continued a conversation. But, Rachel seemed off. Like she was thinking of something she was dredging. "Well, how about, after breakfast, you guys go to the store and grab some hamburger meat. Ok?" My mom suggested, in which we agreed. I look over at Garroths ears. So far, whenever he goes out he hides them. Be it a hat, or just naturally. The ears I was looking at lower, snapping me out of my trance. I look at Garroths face, seeing him advertise his eyes from me. Gosh dangit! I think to myself. I keep making Garroth uncomfortable. Garroths ears disappear, indicating he did it himself. He did it for me... If only he knew that I was a monster. No. If only I would stop staring. After the rest of the people wake up, including my father and Derek, we eat breakfast. "How did everybody sleep?" My mom asked. Plight, just like Garroth. I guess it runs in the blood...just not my blood. Ah, now I'm stuck in a bad mood. 'Good' was what most people responded with. I didn't respond. Nor did my dad, Derek, Rachel, and even Mellisa. Something was wrong, and I knew it. But what?