Chapter 9

I heard a knock on the door through my earbuds. Pulling out the white circles from my ears, I answered, "Come in." Aaron opened the door. "Hey, um, dinners ready." He said. "Oh, ok" I say, flinging my legs over the side of the bed and getting up. Aaron still stood at the door. I looked at him, seeing as he was looking at me. "What happened earlier. Garroth said that you completely ignored his way up the stairs." Aaron said. "Like I said, Aaron, I was distracted. That's all." I say. "Ok, just know Aphmau's not the only one who's willing to talk to you." He says. I give him a confused look before passing by him and walking down the stairs. I know that mostly everyone here is willing to listen to me, but I don't want to bother them with my 'daddy issues' or anything for that matter. As I walk over to the kitchen, I see my parents bedroom door swing open, luckly, it was only my mother that walked out. "Hello, Zuzu! We haven't talked much since we got back to the resort." My mom states. "Yeah, guess I just haven't run into you, Mom." My mom gives me an annoyed look. Great, now both my parents are annoyed with me. "Zuzu, you don't run into your mother. You find her and give her a hug!" She says, now going back to a smile. "Yeah, well how about we get dinner first." I say, nodding my head in the direction of the kitchen. My mom laughs. "Okay, Zuzu." She says. "How many times are you going to call me 'Zuzu' instead of 'Zane'?" I say. While my mom walks away, she says: "I don't know a Zane, but I do know a Zuzu." I roll my eyes. My mom has called me that since I could remember, which oddly I only remember age 6 and up. I just assumed that I had brainwashed myself then. I mean, I could have. I wouldn't know how dangerous that would be. I turned into the kitchen where I saw Aphmau. "Hey, Zane! How are you?" She says. "Good. You?" I said, not really needing an answer. Aphmau looked happy. "Good! We're having pasta for dinner." She said, pointing to a big pot of spaghetti. Well, obviously it's big. We have like 15 people here. "Do you need any help?" I said, not wanting to be rude by just standing around. "Um, Yeah. Could you set the table?" Aphmau asks. Without verbal communication, I nod my head and grab enough plates for all of us. I walked over to the table and set one plate in front of a chair, silverware too. I heard footsteps approaching from behind me, I turned around and saw Garroth. "Hey, baby bro." He said, not sound as irritated and worried as before. "Hey, Garroth." He looked over at the table then back to me. "Why did you need to get out of the house, and why after talking to dad?" He questioned. "I just did, we got into a little argument." I explained, again not totally lying. "What was this 'little argument' about?" Garroth said, wanting more information. "Oh, you know, normal father son arguments." I say. "I've never really fought with dad.." He responds. Of course he hasn't. "You know what, this is none of your business." I say, getting irritated by his pushiness. He doesn't need to know what me and dad fight about. "Geeze, I just wanted to help, no need to get so defensive." He says, holding his hands up. I shove the napkins into his chest, making his hands move to catch them. I did this because I felt my hands heating up, indicating a jolt, but I played it off as if I was angry. I stormed out of the room. "Zane, wait.." Was all I heard from my brother before I left. I turned into the bathroom, pressed up against the door. I looked down at my hands as the heating feeling grew, little flames coming out. I waited for them to cool down before running my hands under the fosit water. I always loved doing this, one cause of the feeling of relief, and two because it created steam. I walked out of the bathroom and back to the table, hoping that Garroth wouldn't be the only one there. My hopes were answered, because almost everybody was at the table, including my dad. He gave me a look that could kill, obviously mad about our fight. Don't mistake this as our biggest fight, because it isn't. My father and I have been fighting for years. School, friends, family and other things bring us rivalry. I sat down next to Lucinda and Aphmau. We ate the pasta that Aphmau had made and talked, catching up from our not so long separation. Mellisa, Kim and Lucinda told us about how they had gone to the haunted house at Starlight Wonderland. Lucinda kept teasing Mellisa on how she had accidentally hit one of the actors. "Mellisa, you hit one of the actors?!" Aaron exclaimed. "I didn't mean to, he snuck up on me!" Mellisa said, trying to defend herself. "You made his nose bleed!" Lucinda laughed, Kim joining in with a giggle. "Hey, you made his costume better." Kim said, trying to cheer up Mellisa. "Zombie nose bleeds." After dinner we split up again. Kim, Lucinda, Mellisa, Aphmau, Aaron and Garroth wanted to watch a movie. The parents went upstairs to talk and have a drink on the roof. I went to the place I used to escape, the beach. I still was giving Garroth the silent treatment, but planned on apologizing to him tomorrow. I walked out onto the blue tinted, moonlit sand, laying cool beneath my feet. It was so calming to me, I don't want to leave it. Y'know what, I'll just stay out here until someone says I have to go in, see how long it takes them to notice i'm gone...