43

——— + ———
be gentle
——— + ———

It was the early morning hours and instead of therapy today, I had to sit in a crisis management meeting for the immediate family. A crisis management meeting is something public figures have when they get into a scandal, and Taehyung was deep into one. As a prominent and wealthy businessman his image is vital. So his mother recruited the best crisis managers money could buy to help alleviate the rapidly decaying situation. The public seemed convinced that Taehyung was behind the murder, all signs seemed to point to him. I just can't imagine Taehyung becoming so angry that he would kill someone. But Jungkook's warning about him being dangerous still stuck in the back of my mind.

"It's been over 48 hours and President Kim has yet to put out a public statement regarding her murder, we need to come up with one fast." One of the managers suggested.

His mother quickly objected. "No, no, KYB International already addressed it; no more or it will make him look guilty." I looked over to Taehyung who's head hung low. He was silent.

"The corporation's statement was not emotional enough, Mrs. Kim. Given the nature of he and Ji-eun's relationship we're going to need a little more than that to sway public opinion." The manager responded.

Taehyung sighed, "I just think we should lay low and let the police handle this."

"Well we can't! Stocks are plummeting, we need to reassure the public that our CEO isn't a killer!" His mother snapped back at him.

I stayed silent, watching all their plotting unfold before my eyes. They were in crisis mode and I was still trying to make up my mind. I want to believe Taehyung is innocent, but he's so hard to read.

A million thoughts went through my head about why he would kill her, but none of the motives made sense. I knew I would have to dig around for myself if I ever wanted to sleep well at night.

"How about a press conference?" Taehyung suggested. The managers and his mother looked at him in horror.

"The press would eat you alive." His mother rolled her eyes.

"This could be good though, Mrs. Kim." The manager interjected. "There are so many rumors that he needs to dispell, I think with proper preparation this could help the situation."

"Proper preparation?" I asked, speaking for the first time.

"Rehearsed answers, and depending on how far you want to go Mr. Kim, tears as well." The manager said simply.

"Fine." Taehyung said reluctantly. He finally rose from his chair began to leave.

"I think it would be good to have your wife beside you as well." The manager added, making Taehyung stop in his tracks.

"No, she stays out of this." He said coldly.

For a minute I was lost, I forgot that we were married. Why would I need to go the conference? I didn't kill anyone.

"Sir, you've had two back to back scandals. First with your current wife, and now with your ex all in a little over a month. The public thinks this is some sort of twisted love triangle. We need to squash that."

"And you think her being there can do it?" His mother asked.

"With a little training, I believe so."

I could see the hesitation on Taehyung's face. "I said no—"

"Do it." His mother interrupted. "Start this 'training' now, we need to get this show on the road." Her word was final. I was going to the press conference.