39

——— + ———
disbelief
——— + ———

I sat in the back seat next to Taehyung. My palms stuck to the leather interior due to my sweaty hands. I was a nervous wreck.

The driver punched in the gate code for Taehyung's family estate and the loud clatter of the metal gate sliding made me alert. As we pulled into the drive I already saw the black SUV outside the house, I assumed it was my family.

I felt the world closing in around me as the car came to a halt. I hesitantly unfastened my seatbelt and Taehyung came around to open the door for me. "It'll be fine." He sighed. His words meant nothing to me though. He doesn't know what they put me through.

Aunt Hyo let us in and the house was eerily silent. The only thing that could be heard was our movements through the spacious corridors. We arrived in the sitting room and there they were.

My father turned around to see me and my stomach sank as he laid eyes on me. I felt like a schoolgirl all over again, preparing to be scolded.
My mother's gaze met mine, she promptly turned back around and sipped her tea before placing is back down onto the coffee table.

My father was a serious looking man. He wore a suit everywhere he went. His cheeks were chubby, but slightly saggy, causing an eternal frown. My mother was a dainty woman, often wearing matching pencil skirts and blouses. She had a short pixie cut. She was very reserved and never spoke out of turn, making her the perfect submissive wife for my overbearing father.

"Have a seat you two." Taehyung's mother ordered.

We both sat in the two living chairs adjacent to the opposite facing sofas that our parents sat on. After some silence my father spoke abruptly.

"If no one else is going to say anything I will speak first. Just what in the hell does your son plan on doing with my daughter?! Huh?! He's gotten her pregnant and didn't even bother to marry her!! But I'm sure you all still want my grandson as your heir?! Ridiculous!" He spat, glaring at me and Taehyung.

Taehyung's mom remained cool and calm, she crossed her legs and began speaking condescendingly. "I'm guessing you aren't that active in your daughter's life because she was the surrogate for my son and his ex-wife. She was never supposed to keep the baby—"

"YOU WERE A WHAT?! NO! NO DAUGHTER OF MINE WOULD EVER—"

"Well I was Dad! I needed the money! What?! Should I have asked you?!" I scoffed. "The only way I'd ever go back home is in an urn!" I screamed at him on the verge of tears. He got up abruptly, startling me.

"Why you little—" My mother got up to pull him back down next to her.

"Doo-Shik calm down. We didn't come here for this!" My mother tried reasoning with him desperately. He rolled his eyes and sat back down.

"I'm sure this is just as embarrassing for your family as it is for mine. But being angry won't solve our problems, we need to find a way to subdue the press."

"Of course." My father said, adjusting his tie. "I already came prepared." He reached for his briefcase. He opened it up and a folder from it. "These are marriage certificates."

"What?" Taehyung asked, practically jolting from his chair.

"I had some of my people work out the dates, the marriage certificate makes you a married couple before Soobin was born." My father said plainly.

"So this is illegal?" His mother asked.

"Well, yes. But no one will know. These marriage certificates were made in Yangsan. We can just that the pair were eager to get married and went to Yangsan because his divorce from his ex-wife was taking too long." My father reassured us. "You are both officially married in Yangsan."