2

-- + --
today
-- + --

I buttoned the end of my blouse in the mirror and tucked in my shirt. I tried to look as presentable as I could. I can't believe that surrogacy agency found someone for me that quickly. I can't help but be nervous, what if it's more than what I bargained for?

I would've called Yoojin to drive me there, but she'd probably talk me out of it. She doesn't understand the financial strain I'm in right now, he always took care of everything because he made more. Now that he's gone, my salary wasn't enough for me to cover the rent and take care of myself.

I threw on my coat and zipped it up. I grabbed my phone and headed out the door. I took the elevator and went down to the lobby where I left to go out into the street. I sat at the nearest bus stop and waited for the bus to arrive.

The bus ride was relatively short. I tried easing my mind with music but it didn't do much. When I got to the center my stomach practically did flips.

As I walked into the office I was immediately faced with a couple that were both smiling.

"This is [y/l/f/n]." The doctor said to the couple. "And these are the Kims."

"Hi." I said awkwardly bowing. They looked so happy. Reminds me of...never mind.

The man immediately jumped into conversation. "So he says you do graphic design? Have you always had an affinity for drawing?"

"Oh yes, it started as doodles but I took it more seriously as the years passed." I replied.

"We also heard you're not originally from Seoul, what brought you here?" The woman said to me.

I exhaled. "My fiancé. We came here together for school." The man furrowed his brows at my statement.

"Is he okay with you doing this?"

"Oh um-he passed-car accident." I admitted.

Their faces changed. "Oh I'm so sorry for your loss-"

"I'm fine." I said with a broken smile. "Life goes on right?"

"What made you decide to be a surrogate?" The wife asked changing the subject.

I needed the money.

"I guess it's a way for me to breathe life into someone else to compensate for those I've lost. If I can be that person through this then that's what I'll do." I lied..partially.

- + -

I gripped my wife's hand. I want a baby, she's perfect but I'm just worried about her emotional struggles and how it could affect the pregnancy, especially with passing of her fiancé.

"Can me and my wife have a moment outside please?" The girl nodded. I nearly yanked Ji-eun from her seat. I took her outside the office and we talked alone in the hall.

"What was that for?" She asked, holding her arm.

"We need to talk." I whispered.

"Isn't she perfect?" She smiled.

"I agree but, she's going through a lot right now, should we?"

"We've already went through three, she's smart and talented and she doing it for the right reasons, maybe this is how she plans to cope, who are we to stop her?"

"Ji-"

"What's the hold up? Do you not want to do it anymore?" She snapped.

"That's not what I'm-"