19

——— + ———
promise
——— + ———

She pulled back out of the hug, as if I had some contagious sickness. The look on her face was pure confusion. "I'm sorry...what?" Yoojin said in shock.

"Jungkook, is alive, he never died."

"Jin, I know he was your friend, and he was special to all of us and if you need to talk to someone—"

"I'm not crazy okay!" I burst in frustration. "I'd never lie about something like this." I sighed nervously. "I just—he had to go away for a while and—he wanted me to look out for y/n—and now she's in there having a baby with my brother—and he's coming back." I said, my sentences were broken up by sobs.

"What do you mean he's coming back?"

Jungkook worked for the government and he was called on to do a mission that involved going into North Korea, finding out where their support and intelligence was coming from. When he told me he was going to fake his death, I thought he was out of his goddamned mind. But to him there was no other way for him to drop off the radar. He had a fiancé, friends, family.  How could all of them keep up with a lie like that? The only way is if they thought it was true. He had no clue if they'd be contacted by authorities from North Korea or South Korea, so he thought it'd be best to tell them all the same thing. He had no idea how long he'd be gone but he wanted me to take care of Y/n and make sure she was safe. Now I feel like I let him down.

He told me the only circumstance that I could utter a word of this Y/n or anyone was if their life was in danger. Or if they were going to do something to themselves over his passing. But now I felt like the time for keeping this secret had already passed. Jungkook had a parcel sent to my condo in Busan a month ago, telling me his whereabouts in Seoul, and that "time was almost up."

I can't even begin to imagine the way this could kill him if he found out when he came back. Or how he'd kill Yoongi. Or me. I felt like it all fell on me. I should've been there for her since the beginning and none of this would have ever happened. I thought she'd be okay since she had Yoojin in Seoul with her but I was wrong.

"He's in Seoul, I cant say where, but he's coming back soon. And when he sees this I don't know what he'll do." I said regretfully.

Yoojin's face changed. She started to get angry. "Well he should've never left! Fuck him!" She shouted, startling the young receptionist who sat at the other side of the room on her phone. Yoojin quickly brought her tone down. "How could he leave like that? I don't feel bad for him! I feel bad for Y/n! She's the one who went through hell without him!"

"Jungkook never wanted this! His way would've been the only
way—"

Yoojin started to get riled up again. "Fuck him and his way! If he told anyone it should've been her!"

"This is national security we're talking about! He can't tell everyone!"

Our debate was brought to an end when we heard the loud cries come from inside the operating room. The cries of a baby.

——— + ———

I looked at my baby as soon as it was placed on my chest, feeling a sense of accomplishment. I felt like the whole world had stopped, and I wanted to pause time just on this moment. I let out a deep breath trying not to cry, knowing that all my suffering wasn't for nothing now that I had my child. I knew who the priority was.

The room was filled with ooing and sounds of awe. "It's a boy." Hoseok assured me with a warm smile. Mother covered her mouth in excitement. My son continued to wail.