30

I slowly pulled out of the kiss, realizing that things just got more complicated. I stared at the woman in front of me, the woman who had been part of my life since she was only a girl. I got brief flashes of us as teenagers, the simpler times and felt a wave rush over me. A wave full of familiarity and nostalgia, but also sorrow. I was sorrowful that Jennie had been here the whole time and I never really saw her.

"I need to go." She said softly. She seemed speechless for once. I let her go from my grip and she walked away tensely. I stood there floored by all the emotion and my assistant came in, she looked Jennie up and down beforehand sensing something off between us. She was followed by Jungkook who had a notepad in his hand.

"I see you brought a guest." I said, breathing out roughly.

"Yes, Mr. President. But he's already been given the rundown. It'll be like he's not even here." She reassured me.

I nodded reluctantly and she began to tell me about all the things I had planned for the day ahead.

—— + ——

The day ahead for me would be full. I had an observation where I was sure Jennie would pick me apart and I had to take Soobin for his shots after work. Both would be equally gut wrenching.

I managed to come up with a very animated logo for the resort. I was proud of it, and I was confident that it would impress my colleagues. I took a seat at the large board table and we all had our folders ready to present. It was nerve wracking and brought me back to the days of childhood. Being anxious and getting that sinking feeling before going in front of the class with your project.

The dispersed chatter of the boardroom came to a screeching halt as Jennie walked in. The infamous sound of her clacking heels brought everyone to attention. The only noise in the room was her shoes and the sound of her Chanel jumpsuit rubbing against her. She sat at the edge of the table.

She silently looked over everyone's folder, not giving any feedback. Just an occasional raise of an eyebrow or a nod. And then she got to me. Her face was expressionless. She closed my folder and put it in one of her stacks, then proceeded to open the next persons.

Once she was all done she finally spoke. "It's good to see what level each of you is at as far as creativity. But there is nothing to worry about because none of your designs will see the light of day." She said sarcastically. I could feel the hearts of everyone in the room simultaneously sink.

No one said anything or rebutted in fear of being reprimanded. She continued speaking. "For some reason still unbeknownst to the board President Kim has decided to cancel the construction of this resort and amusement park altogether. It's regrettable that all your hard work went to waste. Take some time to regroup, but not too much." She said getting up. She sauntered out of the room and everyone sank into their chairs realizing how many hours they spent on their designs just to be told it was all for nothing.

And then I felt guilty, the resort must've been getting built at Udo and now they stopped construction. I felt like it was my fault that all my new colleagues just wasted time slaving over a design.

"I can't believe this." One brave girl finally muttered. "I spent 26 hours total on that logo."

"Do they think we're some kind of joke?" Another one added.

I stayed silent, sad for everyone and sad for myself. I was depending on this to show my ability and at least gain some redemption. Now that's all over.

——— + ———

The work day came to an end but I still glued to my seat. I requested Jennie in my office. I needed to talk to her about earlier, and set the record straight.

I sat at my desk, my head in my hands. The door opened "Executive Director Kim." My assistant announced. Jennie walked in and the door was closed behind her. I eagerly shot up to go meet her face to face. She took a few steps back from me in caution.

"We need to talk about that
kiss—"

"We honestly don't." She scoffed. "We don't need to cross that line. Ever." She said firmly.

"Jennie, how do you feel about me?" I asked her. She seemed slight perturbed by the question, as if her answer wasn't going to be simple. Her emotions were clearly complicated.

"I feel... like it doesn't matter."

"What?"

"It doesn't matter if I have feelings for you. It won't work out, things are just too complicated Taehyung." She admitted. Her voice was shaky. "I mean, look at us. We can't possibly do that, not with a company to run and not with you having a baby with some mystery woman, and some crazy ex-wife. No woman in their right mind would commit to dealing with that. That's too much to handle."

"You didn't say you don't have feelings for me though—"

"I do like you! Okay?!" She blurted. "I have liked you for years, but it seemed like every time I was ready you weren't or something came up. First it was the company, then it was Ji-eun, and now it's that bitc—that woman in graphics who I know for a fact you've been having sex with."

"Did she tell you that?!"

"No! But I could tell by how you both were acting that something happened and now I know for certain!"She said aggressively.

"Jennie, you don't know the whole story, so just hear me
out—"

"I don't need to hear anything, Taehyung. I have two eyes. The same two eyes that watched you push me away, walk down the aisle with Ji-eun, and the same ones that are watching you constantly keep things from me. I can't be with a liar."

"Y/n is my surrogate. Our situation became complicated, she was homeless, unemployed, and she ran off with my baby and now she's here working for me to get on her feet, that's all." After my explanation she sighed, visibly calculating everything I said in my head.

"So you're not together?"

"No, we aren't." I told her.

I'll admit I am omitting the time we had sex but that's because it means nothing to me anymore. I was drunk and depressed over my ex-wife. Jennie was my goal now, she was my light at the end of the tunnel. She was everything I wanted in a partner. Beautiful, ambitious, determined, firm, intuitive, and loyal.

"A surrogate?"

"Me and Ji-eun, we agreed on a surrogate before the divorce. And shortly after Y/n's insemination we broke up."

"Jesus, Taehyung. All this? And you said nothing?"

"It was really personal for me."
Stressed out, she walked away to the far end of the room and leant up against the large window, gazing out. "Jennie, if you'll give me a chance I won't screw up. I won't lie, I won't cheat, I won't ignore you. Just please, can we see where this could go?"

"Tae—"

"One date? That's all." I suggested eagerly.

She shook her head in defeat.
"I guess."

AN: how do y'all feel about Taehyung's new love interest?😈

Are you happy for him or did you expect something else?

How do you feel about Y/n's current situation?

Please vote and comment! It's appreciated 💕