3

--- + ---
the unknown
--- + ---

It was the middle of winter, around Christmas time. I had been inseminated a week ago. Yoojin left yesterday to go visit her family in Udo. And me? I was packing my bag of essentials. It was mostly a backpack of stuff.

I had no family to visit, nowhere to go. I could only pack a couple of outfits, my tooth brush and toothpaste, some makeup, my cell phone (that was cut off), it's charger, and my documents.

I closed the door to our apartment with a grim expression on my face, I didn't want to leave. I'd be going out into the unknown. With no home.

I still had my job at the diner, so I'd continue to work there until I scrounged up enough money to rent a small place. I was waiting for any symptoms of pregnancy, as soon as my pregnancy was confirmed I'd receive half the money. The other half would come after the child was born. I thought I could hold out for maybe a week or so.

I adjusted my baseball cap on my head a little more and zipped up my coat. I walked through the lobby of the apartment complex one last time and out into the cold streets of Seoul. It was probably -6° Celsius (22°Fahrenheit).

I sat down at the bus stop and stuffed my cold hands in my pockets. The bus arrived and went downtown to a women's homeless shelter, I planned on staying there until I started having symptoms or Yoojin came back.

I was warmly welcomed with food and a bed to sleep in. I ate the food that was of normal quality and rolled over in my warm cot. The women around me were mostly sleeping still, but one, who kept staring at me. I could see her in the corner of my eye, but I tried not to look so she wouldn't come over. I pulled out my phone and started trying to find WiFi. She came over.

"You have a phone? Can I see it?" She asked, her eyes narrowed at me, she had a crescent shaped scar under her eye.

"No." I said simply. "I don't even know you."

"So? Quit being an asshole and let me see it." She snapped.

I immediately sat up."Oh really? If I give it to you what will you do?" I asked.

"None of your business, I won't steal it if that's what you think." She replied.

"That's exactly what a thief would say, so I'll pass." I replied.

She gave me a sinister glare.

She started banging her head on the metal bunkbed making herself bleed, I backed away in fear. She screamed loudly, waking everyone up.

Many volunteers came running in. She held her head in pain. "WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT!?" She cried. The volunteers immediately looked at me. "I just wanted to talk to you!!" She sobbed.

"I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING! I swear!" I yelled back.

"Miss Y/n,we have a strict no violence policy! And if this is what you do after we've graciously opened our doors then I'm afraid you must leave. We can't have violent people here, there are children!" One of the volunteers shouted, tending to her wounds.
"Hey, Get her things and get her out of here!" He said to the other volunteers. They immediately came to my bunk and removed my things, taking them out the doors. I rushed after them only to be thrown outside to the curb and have my stuff tossed out right behind me.

I cried uncontrollably on the curb as the cars passed. My hands froze in the icy air as they grew wetter from my tears. I started coughing hysterically. I managed to get up. I threw my backpack on my back and started walking along the busy street.

I checked the time on my phone. It was only 10 pm. I approached a bench on the side of the street, less cars passed by here so it was mostly quiet. I took my arms out my sleeves and tucked them into me to stay warm. I curled up on the bench and drifted off to sleep.