𝟏𝟐. 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐥𝐞𝐬

"I'm not surprised, you want to know more,"

Earlier on, Spy School 2~Miles from Normal

Then the screen of the phone went black ("aw crap!" Max exclaimed). I looked up in confusion, Jack and I exchanged glances.

"We need to get you a new one, and check this one out," Grayson said while looking at the door, signaling it couldn't wait.

"Wait," I said, "Is that all?"

"Yeah, that's all we got," Addy said.

---

Chapter 12

August 14

Top Secret Academy of Espionage, Principal's Office

2043 hours

"Alright, who's knocking?" Jack said in a weary tone. We were all huddled up circling the outside of the principal's office. Max's phone started to have an awful odder around it, so we placed it in a plastic bag we found.

"C'mon, we're only getting Max a new phone-" Addy said.

"If it's so easy, why don't you do it?" Grayson responded. You could tell he was getting annoyed- fast.

"No way. I'm not doing it; I can't bare to look in his face again- let alone first to." Addy said, referring to the principle.

"You guys are ridiculous," I said while pushing myself to the front and knocking on the door three times. Everyone gave me a nervous glance, well almost everyone, Grayson seemed to be in his thoughts and looking down the hallway, it wasn't until someone opened the door that he turned.

"Hello, Agent Hale," Grayson said while walking into the office. I nodded to Erica Hale and stepped inside, I tried to look cool and collective,- I was shaking with excitement. Max, Jack, and Addy were staring with their mouths open.

"You better close your mouth; you're going to catch flies." Erica Hale, said to my friends, not trying to hide the hint of annoyance.

"Sorry-" Max said under his breath. I walked to a corner of the room where Grayson joined me. I took the time to look around, there was a broken vase on the floor and a couple of overturned chairs. Something was going on here before we knocked on the door. Two other people were sitting in the chairs, Cyrus Hale and Ben Ripley.

"What brings you guys here?" Ben Ripley said.

"We- uh- we're" Jack started.

"We're here to get Max a new phone," I finished for him.

"As well as to give you intel," Grayson said.

"Right," I said.

"Let me see the phone," Erica Hale said, Max, handed her the phone. There was a look written on his face, he wanted to speak, you could see it written all over his face.

"Is there something you want to say, Brezinski?" Erica said, sending suspicious glances Max's way.

"I- well, I guess, it's not important though," Max stuttered.

"Well, we've got time," Ripley said, he seemed curious at what Max was going to say.

I looked at max and tried to read his expression to find out more about what it was he was going to say. It seemed like it was bothering him like he wanted to say it for a while now, but, it has only been a few days since he wanted to ask, which only made it harder to ignore. Like finding out the truth about yourself, like being adopted, and wanting to find out more about your origin, and the truth, wondering if it was all true, from the beginning, or all a hoax- so you can continue with your life without the dent it's already made.

With all these thoughts in my head, giving a thought to the problems I had, I realized, Max and I were going through similar things, but maybe it was a little harder on me, and since his "legendary father" knew all the adults in the room, maybe he could find out more, the truth. This could be his last chance- I walked over to Max.

"Go on, ask them- it's an opportunity you can't pass up," I whispered into his ear from behind him. It seemed to work-

"I know the truth about my father," Max said. The agents were caught off guard, Ripley's eyes were the size of saucers, Erica straightened up and became stiff. "I want to know more,"

"I'm not surprised, you want to know more," The eldest of the Hales, Cyrus said, "But, I nor anyone can tell you more than you already know. There will be a time where we can, but for now," He paused.

"I'm so sorry, I know you must be having a tough time, but we cannot tell you anything, it's better this way," Ripley finished.

"Right," Max said while returning his gaze to the floor. Erica started to examine the phone ignoring the tension in the room.

"Fried," She said while sniffing the phone, "Not that much- whoever did this knew what they were doing,"

"What was the last thing displayed on the phone?" Cyrus asked.

"Footage," I started, "security camera footage,"

"Were you able to see the whole thing?" Erica asked.

"Yeah, Max and Addy took the video so, they've probably seen it a couple of times," Jack said.

"What happened in the video?" Ripley asked while turning to Addy.

"I- uh- well uhm," She stiffened.

"There were these two people, one older one younger," Max started, "Well, the younger one actually looked our age, they were walking in the restricted area, and they were like arguing or something like that." The adults nodded their heads.

"Where were you when you took the video?" Cyrus asked.

"In the underground tunnels, I'm pretty sure it was room 64," Max answered.

"I'm taking a look," Cyrus said while getting up.

"I'm coming too," Erica said.

"No, you aren't, you are going to stay here and get two more phones," Cyrus said under his breath.

"Two?"

"Your-" Cyrus sighed, "Charlotte hasn't gotten hers yet, thanks to the incompetent principle of ours."

"Fine," Erica said while rolling her eyes, "Next time though, I'm coming with you," Cyrus nodded and turned to leave.

"So, um kids-" Ripley started, Jack and Max jumped at his sudden conversation, "Tell me about yourselves,"

"Oh no," Erica Hale let out an annoyed cry under her breath.

"Well, I don't see you trying to make a conversation," Ben challenged her. To which she stayed silent, she didn't have an idea of a conversation either, "Anyway! Tell me about yourselves," 

---

(1059 words)

long time no see, eh?

-Daliah