𝟐𝟐. 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐌𝐨𝐫𝐠𝐮𝐞

"Besides I wouldn't want to ruin your date."

Earlier on Your Finale,

I rolled my eyes," What's this plan of yours then?"

"A trip to the morgue sounds fun, doesn't it?" He asked.

I sighed. "I don't see how this is going to help-"

"Great!" He said smiling, oblivious to the fact that he had just interrupted me, "It's a date then."

・❥・

Chapter 22

2230 hours

The catacombs underneath the academy

You'd think that after being in the cold for a while you would get used to it. Well, that's not true. The cold only got worse as Grayson and I continued our way further through the icy tunnels. The cold was biting through our skin. Of course, we were wearing our long winter uniforms, but they're really only for show. The uniforms are the thinnest they could be, one level just before it would snap. The uniforms were designed for agility, not for keeping people warm.

Grayson and I were lucky that we happened to trip over the flashlight and astronaut blanket, if not we would have gotten frostbite and lost.

We were walking at a very slow pace. We had the blanket wrapped around the both of us to heat us up. While walking like a wrapped-up burrito, you can only go so fast. Every now and then our elbows would hit each other, or I would step on his foot.

I've never been this close to someone before.

"How much farther?" I asked while exhaling. You could see our breath, as if it was being stolen by Jack Frost. Grayson shivered, shaking the both of us. He slid his arm around my waist and pulled me in closer in hopes to warm himself up with my body heat.

"It should be right," Grayson paused as he guided us around a corner. I could hear as he broke out into a smile through his voice, "here." He pulled me into the morgue as he quickly opened the door. I heard Grayson flick a light switch on the wall next to us as the lights turned on one by one.

"Profe-" Someone called out from the far end of the morgue.

Grayson and I moved in sync as both our heads whipped towards the source of the sound. I heard as Grayson sucked in air. His icy grip tightening on my waist.

There, sitting on a chair, was a girl. She had long dark hair and large coffee eyes. She was also wearing the same uniform that we were. She looked older than us, but not too much.

It was like a wave of confidence crashed onto Grayson. He stood tall and his face dropped all signs of emotion. If you told me he was an automaton I would immediately believe you.

"Looking for Professor Randobal?" Grayson asked, shifting as he took the blanket off of me and draping his side of it over my shoulders.

I saw as the girl stiffened. She then said, "I'm just doing lab work."

"While it's pitch dark outside. In the student restricted morgue?" Grayson asked, his eyebrow arching. He was having fun toying with this girl.

"Student restricted for you. I have a pass." She said, holding something yellow up in her hand. From across the room it looked like a very thick piece of paper. The size and thickness of a calculator. That wasn't paper. That was some device of sort.

Grayson started to walk towards the girl. "I guess you are supposed to be in here." He said, now standing right next to her. "What's your lab on?"

The girl visibly started to let her guard down. Her shoulders fell. "Oh um, its just medical stuff, you wouldn't understand." She paused, her eyes shifting towards me. "Besides I wouldn't want to ruin your date."

I had been standing by the door the whole time, I felt as if I should be moving towards this girl too. I made a step towards where the girl sat. Grayson whipped his head towards me when he saw me move. He sent me a message through his eyes.

Don't move.

The next thing I knew the girl fell.

Crack.

Her chair hit the ground, her body doing the same. She looked as if she was a rag-doll.

I was afraid she hit her head. But then I saw as Grayson grunted, slipping his foot out from under her head.

"Did she faint?" I asked, not moving from my spot.

"Sure, lets say that." Grayson said, reaching down towards the girl and taking the yellow device out of her hand.

I ran over to Grayson's side, my eyes widening as I saw what was nested on her thigh.

A dart.

I decided not to question Grayson about it knowing that he had been the one that caused it.

"Quick let's hurry before-" Grayson started but paused as we heard footsteps from the other side of the door. "someone's coming." He whispered, taking my hand and shoving us into a closet filled with lab coats.

I could hear his heartbeat. Somehow it beat normally, different from mine for it was beating rapidly. I couldn't tell if I was nervous someone would catch us or nervous from the close proximity of Grayson and I.

"Elizabeth?" A man called from the doorway.

My breath hitched, that girl's name was Elizabeth. She was my student advisor, otherwise known as one of the moles we were after. And Grayson just drugged her with a dart.

I couldn't see a thing from where I was in the closet, seeing as Grayson had moved himself into the center so he could see through the petite crack, his body pressing up against mine even more, slightly pushing me into the side of the closet.

"My," The man said as he crossed the room and stood in front of Elizabeth's body. He didn't say a word as he took an empty plastic bag from the lab table next to him and grabbed the dart wedged into her thigh, placing it into the bag with tweezers.

What if Grayson left fingerprints?

I quickly looked towards his hands, one next to my head, and internally sighed. He was wearing black gloves, he had thought about this.

This was all planned. Grayson hadn't told me a thing and he knew what was going to happen.

What is his problem? Does he not trust me?

No, its because I'm inexperienced.

The closet door opened.

I had been so lost in thought I hadn't realized how the man crossed the room, how Grayson's hand was now on my wrist, how the man had opened the closet door and exposed our hiding spot.

"My my!" Professor Randobal said, "What do we have here?"

・❥・