𝟏𝟓. 𝐭𝐚𝐥𝐤

Earlier on, Spy School 2: Miles from Normal,

"You're going to figure out why she was there." Grayson said.

"How am I going to figure out why she was there?" I asked.

"That's entirely up to you," He responded, "just don't screw up."

And oh my god, when I tell you I screwed up.

---

Chapter 15

School Gardens

1426 hours

I was in the school gardens waiting for Addy to show up. Earlier that day Grayson told me that I would have to figure out why Addy lied and said she was tired the day that Grayson, Jack, Max and I were discussing the mole issue. Lilith gave Grayson a photo of Addy sneaking out of school grounds late at night. So now Grayson thinks that Addy might be a mole.

I did the only rational thing and told her to meet with me at 2:30 in the gardens. It was now 2:26.

The garden looked extra pretty today. I don't know if it was the flowers slowly losing their color for fall or the hint of summer still in the air, but something felt like today was a good day.

When Grayson told me what Lilith said about Addy, I didn't believe him. Yeah, I've only known Addy for a couple of days, but still, it didn't seem like something she'd do. But that's how it always starts out, isn't it?

It was now 2:31 and Addy still hadn't shown up yet. I never knew her as someone who wasn't on time, but maybe she was running a bit late.

"Charlotte?" I heard my name being called.

"Oh, hi Add- Leah?" I responded. I thought that it was Addy finally showing up, but it wasn't. Instead, it was Leah, one of the kids that I played frisbee with on my first day here.

She grinned, her brown hair flowing in the wind, "Hi Charlotte," She paused and looked at me, "What are you doing here?"

I was sitting on the ground resting next to a tree waiting for Addy in the middle of the day doing nothing. I could see how she would be confused.

"Oh, I'm just waiting for a friend," I said, not wanting to give her too much information as to why I was here.

"Who are you waiting for?" she asked while her gray eyes glazed over with curiosity.

"Oh um," I paused trying to figure out how I could answer her question without giving away too much information, "just Addylin,"

"She's back?" Leah asked.

Back?

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Oh, I just heard Lilith talking to someone and they were saying how Addylin wasn't going to be at school because she was on a trip,"

A trip?

"A trip? Where?" I asked.

"I don't know," Leah responded, "Why do you want to know so much?"

"No reason," I said while getting up and grabbing my phone from my pocket, "Thanks for your help, Leah!"

I didn't wait for a response, I got what Grayson needed, and that was information. I ran through the gardens tripping over my feet every now and then. I passed by some teachers but didn't bother to say hi. I entered the main building and started dialing Grayson's number until I ran into someone.

"Sorry!" I yelled, not bothering to stop and see who I bumped into.

"Wait!" They yelled back.

I stopped, "Yeah?" I turned and saw Jack standing there, my phone in his hand.

"Forgetting something?" He smirked.

I rolled my eyes, "Yeah, thanks." I walked back to him and reached for my phone. He handed it to me.

"What's with the rush?" He asked before I could leave him again.

"I just really need to see Grayson," I responded bouncing on my feet. I really wanted this conversation to be over.

"Oh," his spirits fell, "Grayson."

I looked at him skeptically, "What do you mean," I imitated his voice, "Oh, Grayson."

"I do not sound like that," Jack said, crossing his arms, "I just feel like you're always hanging out with Grayson now,"

"What," I said smirking, "Are you jealous?"

Jackson got red, "No, I didn't mean it like that,"

I laughed.

"It's just suspicious," He looked at me skeptically, "Like you guys are working together on something,"

"Yeah sure," I started, "Working together on something."

Jackson sighed, "I don't know Char, it's just really weird."

"How?" I asked, I needed to know where Grayson and I slipped up.

"Uhm, well." He pulled on the end of his shirt, "It's just the timing. First there's a mole, and we all get to be on a mission together, then Addy leaves, and you and Grayson won't stop meeting up, and Lilith won't stop trying to talk to me."

My eyes widened,

"I'm so sorry Jack, but I really need to go,"

"What?"

"Thanks, bye!"

"But Char!"

I started running towards Grayson's dorm room.

---

I pounded on dorm 203, "Grayson! Grayson! Grayson!" I yelled. My eyes widened, noticing I said his first name. Grayson was always so formal about it, I forgot I should use his last name.

I heard a grunt, "I'm a bit busy Anders!"

"Yeah, but it's really important!" I argued.

I heard something crash, "Grayson? Is everything okay in there?" I asked, worried. I heard a door close, like his closet or something. His door opened a little so I could only see a sliver of his face.

"What?" He asked.

"Are you okay? I heard some stuff going on," I asked trying to get a better look at him.

"I'm fine."

"You don't look fine," I said, "Can I come in?"

"No."

"It's really important, Grayson." I started bouncing on my feet, I said his first-name again, "It's about you know what," I added under my breath.

Grayson sighed, "Give me a minute." He then disappeared behind his closed door. I waited for a bit, what was going on in there? I could've sworn I heard something fall, and Grayson sounded really weird too. And what was that door thing- could he be hiding something?

My thoughts were interrupted when Grayson opened his door, he was wearing the school uniform and looked normal, except for his hair being a mess, and a growing bruise under his eye. I decided not to question it knowing he wouldn't say anything about it.

"Okay, you want to talk, let's talk." 

---

(word count: 1089) 

hi guys! daliah here, its been hard for me to write chapters because school is piling up on me-

sorry for any inconveniences.