∆ FORTY SEVEN ∆

The thumping in my heart didn't cease even when my two best friends had said numerous motivating and encouraging words. Everyone was waiting for the news of the week. All eyes were on me and whispers took over the assembly as we waited for the principal to get on the podium.

My heart tripled it's pace at the sight of the principal sauntering to the podium. She was in a maroon suit and had changed her hair from the braids she had on yesterday. Her kinky hair was packed up.

Mrs Adebayo was given the microphone and she started. "At the beginning of the term, I warned and pleaded with every student of the school to be of good behaviour. Well, unfortunately, few of you didn't heed to that advice."

Sighing, my lips went into my mouth and I bowed my head. My life was never going to be the same henceforth. It was totally the end. Dad had insisted on me facing the consequences of my action hence me being here despite the marks and bruises on my body and the pain.

"A student of International Scholars High has brought shame to our school. And it hurts me to say it had to be one of our very best." She opened the small black book in her hand and called, "Oyesile Oluwatobiloba, can you step forward."

I bit my lower lip and slowly made my way to the podium. A path was cleared for me and I heard a familiar voice; "the goody two shoes isn't as good as we thought after all." I looked up momentarily to see Toyosi, the owner of the voice.

"What is more disappointing is that this student tried to commit an abortion in the school."

I joined the principal on the podium. My head was still cast down and my hands behind me.

"The disciplinary panel of the school has met and has come to a decision that Oyesile Tobiloba will be expelled from this school." I shot my head up while the rest of the students gave a shout then murmurs broke out seconds after.

My heart sank. My eyes made contact with brown ones. I despised him, a lot. I detested him with every fiber of my being. I returned the frown on his face with a look of contempt. He averted his gaze abruptly. I knew staring at him much longer would have me plunging towards him to strangle and restrict his airflow. When I was sure he was lifeless then I'd ask, who dey breath? He wasn't worth going to jail for so I returned to bowing my head.

"Silence!" The principal's order was ignored and I think the murmurs became even louder. Minutes later the murmurs died down then the principal  continued with her words, directing at me, "make sure to get your expulsion letter from the administrative block before you leave. A copy will also be sent to your parents."

I gave a small nod then she dismissed me with a hand. I returned to where I was with over a thousand eyes following my every movement. Mrs Iboro climbed the podium while the principal left.

"Can you all see the shame she has brought  upon herself? When we tell you to stay away from boys, you wouldn't listen." Mrs Iboro started her pep talk.

Anna took my wrist."Tobi, you were expelled." She mention like I wasn't aware.

Adjusting her tie to her neck, Zara stated, "they are taking this too far. You get expelled, then what of Daniel?"

A frown marred my features. Why wasn't Daniel called out like I was? After all, it was his sperm and the stupid baby was his. He ought to have suffered the same humiliation I went and is still going through. Yesterday, I gave them as much information  as I could to prove he was responsible and the cause of the useless thing occupying my tummy.

My distressed orbs travelled to the tall fool. He was whispering something into Wale's ear.

"It's not fair na." Zara muttered, her forehead wrinkled in displeasure. It wasn't fair I was the one suffering for both our crime.