∆ FIFTY ∆

Dedicated to Victoria_yemi

TOBI'S POV

My eyes read the word boldly written on the small sign board; welcome to Modakeke. I heaved a sigh. My life was taking a drastic turn all because of the stupid baby. I touched my stomach and felt the small bump forming. Never in my life did I ever think I would get pregnant at this age. No one ever thought or wish such upon themselves.

"Ouch!" I yelled as the car entered into a pothole. Grandma grumbled and said to the taxi driver, "baba, e rora na."

The rickety, old taxi made a threatening sound, like it was going to fall apart. Grandma and the old taxi driver were now chatting away in the front seat in our native dialect. I was with some of our bags  in the backseat as we made our way to the house.

The last time I was here was when I was seven. A year after grandpa had passed away, it was then grandma decided to taunt our lives. She would visit any day and any time she wanted, the old woman was probably lonely and wanted some drama in her life.

The vehicle slow movement gave me chance to be able to get a good view of the environment. We were at the market, it was very noisy and all the traders had their wares displayed in attractive ways.

Ding!

I casted my gaze to my phone on my laps, a tap on the screen brought it alive.

Zara❤💋:
I'll miss you😭😭😭. Call me when you can. Luv you loads😘😘.
4:23PM

It was a response to my text of living for Modakeke. I spoke with Anna on the phone. she cried. I did too. This was hard on us all and it was all my fault. I'd miss her too. Our nonstop chattering, our gossip, the never ending bickering. Everything about the both of them.

I decided not to reply the text but call as soon as I'd settled home. It sounded strange but it was my new home now. Mum still hadn't say a word to me. At least dad warned, gave words of advice and gave me a sum of money. Remi hugged me, we cried together. Sister Deola gave encouraging words and some money. Mum just watched as we left. She didn't even wave and it hurt.

The car came to a stop at grandma's house. The three storey building was different now, it was grey instead of the pale blue color.  The gate fence was no longer there. There was a damaged borehole. Two cars were parked in the compound.

A knock on the window of the car disrupted my thoughts. "Shey, you will not get out of the car?!" Grandma yelled.

Quickly, I got out of the car and walked towards the house.

"You will not pack the bags, abi?"

I moved swiftly to the back of the car and took out grandma's bag and my bags. I set them on the floor, closed the boot and struggled with pushing my large box to the gate.

On getting to the gate, I heaved a sigh and sat on the box.  Grandma shouted my name from the taxi so I continued with getting the box into the house.

Two guys were sitting face to face on a wooden bench. In between them, there were cards and with them they held their individual cards making sure to prevent the other from getting a glimpse. Both boys were engrossed in their game so I passed by without them noticing me.