∆ TWO ∆

"Good afternoon Mummy," I greet as I walk into the house.

My mother is seated on the sofa watching a Yoruba movie. "Oko mi, kaabo. How was school?"

"Fine ma." I respond and throw my school bag on the floor. After this, I sit on the sofa which is across Mum. "I hope there is food in this house because I'm famished."

"Deola has made beans. Serve yourself." She answers and transfers her attention to the Yoruba movie that is currently playing on the TV.

I grumble taking my bag to my room while murmuring to myself due to the anger that is inside me. I have always hated beans. That's my worst food.

"Better don't hit your head on the wall." My mother tells me as I grumble out of the living room while dragging my bag on the floor.

Entering into the bedroom, I see my younger sister laying on her bed. Her pencil is in her mouth and the way she munches the stationery seems like she's hungry but I know very well the only reason the pencil is where it is, is because she doesn't know what to write.

"Sister Tobi, I need your help with my visual art homework."

"Remi, please don't disturb me this afternoon. I am famished and I don't feel like eating beans." I told her as I perch on the bed then take off my school tie.

"Who will then teach me my assignment?!" My grouchy twelve year old sister .

Remi is in JSS2 in the school my mother works. Mum wants to always have her close so she can have her eyes on her at all times. Remi is the most adventurous of three of us, she schooling in the school my mother works in, is one of the ways of monitoring her.

I hiss, "I am hungry and you are here telling me about homework." I unbutton my white long sleeve shirt leaving me in my singlet and dark blue pleated school skirt.

Remi who was sitting on the only chair in our bedroom gets up and walks out of the room with books in her hands.

I undress and wear shorts and an oversize blue blouse. I pick my phone from my side of the wardrobe. When the phone screen comes alive as I had it turned off, I turn on my data with just a tap on the data icon then I begin to reply to messages I have on WhatsApp while sitting on the chair in our room cross-legged.

Sister Deola, Remi and I share a room. Our house is a three bedroom apartment, our parents have their own room, there is also the guest room and then our room. We have three beds, one for each of us in our room.

Sister Adeola is a final year student in the university studying electrical engineering. She hardly comes home so Remi and I have the room to ourselves most times. The only reason she is even around now is because of strike. She would have graduated about eight months ago but the strike is what made her spend some more months.

I stayed in my room chatting with my friends via WhatsApp that I had even forgotten the hunger I was complaining of when I arrived from school.

"Tobi!" I heard my Mum call then went to put my phone in my part of the wardrobe. "Oluwatobiloba!" Mother shouts at her topmost voice and I knew from past experiences that one more second of delay would get me in trouble with my Mum.

"I'm coming ma!" I yell as I start to make my way to the living room.

"Welcome Daddy." I kneel down to greet him as the Yoruba tradition expects of a female. I may not fully kneel for my Mum but my Dad would never take such nonsense. He is very strict. He is the disciplinarian amongst my parents.

"Thank you." He replies and sits down. I collect his briefcase and take it to his room.

I hurry back to the living room and sit on the chair while Sister Deola puts the coolers on the  coffee table. Since our house couldn't accommodate a dining room we make use of the living room for serving and eating of food.

Sister Deola serves us all and we all begin to eat the beans and plantain. I just munch on my plantain while I use my spoon to play with the beans in my plate.

"Your grandmother called and told me she will be coming this weekend to visit." Promulgates Daddy.

The frown that appears on Mummy's face is very noticeable, "why? Kilonfe?"

"Shade! So a mother cannot come to her son's house abi?" Daddy tells Mummy.

Mummy mumbles and drops her plate on the table then walks out of the living room angrily. If I were in Mummy's shoes I would also be angry as well. Our paternal grandmother has always hated our mother for not giving our father a male child. She make Mum's life miserable all because of a male child, like my sisters and I aren't children.

"Deola, so what have you decided to do when you graduate? You know this our country, before you find employment it is not easy. Nigeria is not an easy place."

"I know Daddy. I have decided to concentrate on my fashion designing business till I get a good paying job." She tells daddy.

Daddy coughs then puts a spoonful of beans into his mouth. "That is fine. Just make sure that is after you've graduated. I don't want any distractions especially now that your finals are approaching. Make us proud o!" 

Sister Deola smiles, "I will Sir. How can I let you down? I'm going to be the first graduate in the Oyesile family, how can I? Not even in my dreams will I let you down."

"Ok o, madam soon to be graduate. Remi and Tobi, are you seeing how your sister is making us proud. You both should do the same oh."

"Yes, Daddy." My younger sister and I chorus.

Glossary

1) Kaabo - means welcome in Yoruba language.

2) Kilonfe - means what does she want, also in Yoruba.