Five, Four, Three, Two, One- Peter Parker

pairing: male!stark!photographer!reader and reporter!peter parker
summary: reader and peter tail a lead and reader has an anxiety attack, peter helps out reader, they have a nice moment :)
genre: fluff, hurt/comfort fluff with a platonic spin
requested? yes.
warnings: anxiety, anxiety attack, bad jokes
a/n: uh i hope ur alright i did an au w/ this i mean technically peter is a reporter in one of the other universes but whatevs lol also i wrote about anxiety attacks cause i've had those before (a lot lol) but never a panic attack and feel like i'd do them much better justice also that five four three two one thing is an actual thing and i really recommend it for anyone with anxiety or anyone who needs grounding techniques in general

It was strange but it was like fate. You had pursued photography even majoring in it in college while interesting enough Peter pursued journalism. You had pegged him as a scientist or even taking over your own father's company, it just seemed like he was destined for it. But he chose journalism, something about getting people's stories out there and shedding light on the real issues (his words, not yours). Your jobs had coincided and have been coinciding ever since you two started working.

When Peter's boss demanded some article on the Avengers or particularly Spider-Man, whom Peter's boss seemed obsessed with, you'd provide him pictures to pepper amongst his article. While you worked freelance, your prints of Spider-Man always seemed to do well, especially since you knew the web-slinging hero and got full access to him whenever you desired and so, there was an unspoken deal hashed out amongst yourselves. Peter had invited you along with him on whatever he had either been assigned or chosen to write about, too. You two were thick as thieves.

And ever since you had an anxiety attack before, during, and after an English presentation in Freshman year, Peter not only knew about your anxiety and attacks but also helped comfort and calm you down. He was really the only one who knew how to calm you down and guide you out of your heightened state besides yourself. 

---

You're on another one of Peter's excursions, investigating some higher-ups at a big corporation who seem to be exploiting their workers. It was always something like this. Peter liked to give power to the powerless, make those in charge know just how quickly everything can be usurped from them. He knew you liked it, too. You were a sucker for a good underdog story and always willing to help him. 

You had just trailed one of the people you were investigating with Peter, him reminding and urging you to take as many photos as you could as he hurriedly scrawls down notes. You sit with your back pressed against the wall, your chest heaving as Peter's does too but yours is far more intense. "Peter," You breathe out, struggling to even look at him as your whole body shakes.

"Wha- What?" He asks breathlessly, still looking in the direction of the man. Without your usual quick response, he turns to you and instantly picks up on what's wrong. "Y/n?" He turns and grabs both of your arms. "Hey," He coos, he slides his hand down your cheek. "Look at me," He says softly. He puts his hand back on your arm, rubbing up and down in a soothing motion. "Remember our breathing exercise?" He starts with a long, slow inhale through the nose, "Through the nose," He directs. "Then hold for one, two, three." And then he purses his lips letting out his breath, "And out through the mouth." He repeats this process a couple of times over as you follow with him.

"All right," He flashes a smile as you start to come back, your breathing slowed, and your heartbeat calmed. "Five things you can see," It was funny how much he used this because you had taught it to him, only after learning it from your therapist, of course. 

"I see the wall, I see a clock, I see..." You look at him, "I see you," You chuckle.

He knows it's working and reciprocates your soft laughter. He listens, watching your smile as you list off two more things. "Four things you can hear," He asks. You list them off, getting calmer and calmer by the minute. "Three things you can touch," Again you list them off. "Two things you can smell,"

This one you always had to take a minute to think about. You actually have to actively smell instead of sitting back observing. You sniff like a dog and it hits your olfactory that cheesy cologne your dad supplied Peter with that no matter how you complain he still wears. "Your cologne," You answer, give him a disapproving look. You grab the hem of your shirt and sniff it, "And mine, my much better-smelling cologne."

He chuckles shaking his head, "It is from your dad. One thing you can taste," 

"I ate a candy bar earlier, the taste is still in my mouth."

"Good," Peter smiles at you, turning over and sitting by your side again. "Feeling better?"

You nod, "Yeah, thanks." You let out a deep breath, slumping into his side. "You know my therapist loves you, right?"

He turns to you smiling and softly shaking his head. 

"She says you're like the best best friend." 

"I would hope so,"

You look at him quizzically.

His face slowly breaks into a huge smile. "Because you're my best best friend."

You burst out laughing, "Oh my god!" You playfully smack his shoulder. "I swear to god, you're more of my dad's son than I am. You take after him way too much!"

He bursts out laughing, too, giggling as he talks, "Oh c'mon! I'm not that bad, am I?" He looks at you jokingly hopeful.

"You are," You watch as he stands and extends his hand out to you.

"C'mon," He says, taking your hand and pulling you up. "Let's get back to my apartment. Mull over what we've got."

You nod. "Let's get going then," You lean against him as you walk. It's something you always did when you were tired and Peter quickly grew accustomed to it. It's your way of showing affection, like a hug but with less touching which helps with your anxiety. 

Peter knows that and tilts his head, leaning it against yours, smiling like the big dork he is. You two have a lot of work to do but this is a nice moment.