A Bad Ending-Steve Rogers

pairing: steve and gn!reader
summary: you're a villain/antihero/bad guy u choose n the team is chasing after u but only steve catches up with u on a roof and ur determined u know ur fate
genre: just pure angst, sorry
warnings: mentions blood, injuries to the reader, death, flashbacks sort of
a/n: i actually really like this i saw the dialogue prompt "i know exactly how this ends" so that's the inspo i hope u enjoy even if it is angst haha,, and one thought i guess not everyone gets a good ending

You stood on a roof bloodied, bruised, and battered. You had been chased down by the Avengers and they had caught you momentarily. They caught you off guard and landed more hits on you than you did them. You tried to catch your breath but you were sure one of the Avengers broke your ribs. Your breaths were labored and shaky. Your throat was dry and scratchy. 

You look around and when no one comes into your vision, you take a seat on the edge of the roof. You weren't going to fight anymore. You looked out over the horizon noting the sky's orange color. You swung your legs back and forth as your hands gripped the edge of the roof.

Light footsteps sound across the rooftop and you don't even dare to turn around. "Which Avenger is it?" You ask, looking down first at your feet then at the alleyway below.

"What?" They ask, furrowing their brows.

"Which one of you is going to kill me?" Your tone is light and soft clashing with the harsh nature of your question.

"I'm not going to kill you,"

With those words, you know who it is sharing the roof with you. "Steve Rogers?" You ask before turning your head. "So, what's your plan, if not to kill me?" You get to your feet slowly, holding your side. You laugh before a sharp, piercing pain shoots through your abdomen. "Shit," You mutter. 

"I can take you to a hospital," Steve offers, taking a step forward.

"No," You shake your head and reach a hand out, "No." You double over and begin coughing, "I'm not getting out of this."

As Steve takes more steps toward you, you back away nearing the edge of the roof. "It doesn't have to end here,"

"I know exactly how this ends," You state before spitting out blood. The blood splatters onto the rooftop and splashes against your shoes. "There's no way out for me, Captain. I know that,"

"You can call me Steve," He holds his ground, making sure not to take another step. 

"Steve," You entertain him. "I don't want a way out. I'm fine ending this here and now."

"Why does it have to end?" He takes a small step backward as to encourage you to come closer.

"It doesn't." You answer coldly.

There's a moment of silence between you two. The silence is filled with the whispers of the wind. You take a step forward as your body becomes heavier. You meet Steve's eyes for a moment, something is hidden behind his irises.

"I'll die either way, you're only dragging out the process, Captain." You start blinking rapidly as your vision starts to blur. "Will you let me die quickly?"

"I'm not going to let you die."

"It won't be your fault, this was coming since the beginning. I won't haunt you and you will move on. This is one of many tradgedies."

"You don't have to be a tragedy." Steve steps forward with his hands out, "You're more than that."

"I know exactly how this ends," You repeat, stepping backwards. "It will end how I want it to, when I want it to, how I want it to, now." You look over Steve's form once more before closing your eyes. "You don't have to save everyone, Steve." You take a step backward and let your body begin to fall. "I knew how this would end and I'm sorry." 

Time seems to slow as your body falls through the air. Steve runs in an attempt to catch you but you're too far gone. He pulls his arm to his side as he grunts. He couldn't save you. You were determined to die.

Before you clash against the street you open your eyes to see Steve looking over the edge. You flash him a small smile and hope he sees it before you close your eyes again. In a matter of seconds your body makes impact with the ground and blood pools all around you. 

Steve squeezes his eyes shut as he hears your body hit the ground. He clenches his teeth and fists before falling to his knees. He slams his fists against the rooftop before falling onto his butt. He lets his muscles relax and lets out a deep breath. He takes a moment for himself before climbing back to the street. 

Steve uses a payphone to call the police. He walks over to the alleyway where your body rests. He can't stand to look at you and leans against the wall right outside the alley. He talks to the police before they let him leave. He walks the whole way back even though it takes him an hour. 

As he rides the elevator up to his room, he can feel something missing but can't pinpoint it. He doesn't bother to even think about what's missing. He just lets himself ride out the feeling of emptiness. The elevator dings and he steps out. On the way Bucky greets him and he quickly reciprocates. He enters his room and drops onto his bed.

He changes out of his suit before laying on his bed. He puts his hands under his pillow as he stares at the ceiling. Your words sound through his mind but he feels unaffected, empty. When he forces himself to close his eyes, your face stares back at him. Particularly your smiling face as you fell off the building.

He shifts into several different sleeping positions as the night's events continue replaying through his closed eyes. It didn't feel like he was there, though. It was more like watching a scene from a movie. He didn't try to suppress the replays, though he eagerly wished they would stop. Before his body could finally fall asleep, the image of your eyes staring back at his before squeezing shut played one last time.