I'm Sorry I Didn't See You, You Never Made Yourself Visible- Peter Parker

pairing: peter parker and gn!reader
summary: you go to prom with peter and get a number n peter's sad about it bc he likes u :(
genre: angst kinda
requested? nop
warnings: one-sided love, mentions n talks about anxiety, i think that's it??, short fic
a/n: omg he is writing angst again??? couldn't be me yes it could and yes it is bitch i will probably write a pt 2 also this was finished so i just decided to post it lol

Ah, prom, what a great thing! Well, sometimes... See, Peter had invited you along as a friend of course too nervous to make it anything else and that was his mistake it seemed. Because now, there you go to tell a guy you think he's cute and there you are telling Peter you did it and you're resting your hands on his shoulders. And there you go after telling him you needed to sit, sitting down, trying to calm your racing heart, and there stands the aforementioned cute guy right in front of you. And he's smiling at you and you're smiling back and he's asking if he can sit next to you and you nod excitedly. God, Peter's never seen you so happy. And there you two go chatting together trying to cut through the awkwardness of it all. And then he reaches into his pocket, pulling out something before scribbling on it, then he hands it to you with a wink before getting up, gesturing god knows where god knows why. And there you are, smiling so brightly, typing in the number, setting his contact, and typing out a quick message. And then you walk back over to Peter.

"Oh my god, can you believe that!?" You look between him, Ned, and Mj. "I just told him he was cute and I got his number!" You smile so brightly it cracks Peter's heart, you'd never smiled like that for Peter.

"Crazy," Mj says monotonously widening her eyes. "Congrats though," She pats your shoulder. "I'm gonna raid the snacks, want anything?"

"Uh, just something to drink," You chuckle to yourself, "before I pass out."

Mj looks over to the other two and Peter shakes his head while Ned just decides to go with her. "Good job, man," Ned says before leaving, "I knew it was in you." He points a playful finger your way before Mj drags him away.

"So, crazy, huh?" You let out a deep breath, eyeing Peter.

"Yeah, crazy," He says in a low voice.

"Something wrong?" You ask him leaning in to hear him better.

"Just.. hot in here that's all,"

"C'mon," You take his hand, "I'm sure Ned and Mj will be fine without us for a couple minutes," You guide him past the double doors and into the fresh air of the night. "Ah," You drop Peter's hand, breathing in the night air and closing your eyes for a moment, "so nice out here."

"Yeah," Peter's staring at you, "yeah, it is." He quickly turns his gaze to the sky as you look back at him.

"Still can't believe it," You say, shaking your head. "And to think I almost didn't want to go tonight,"

Peter looks at you curiously, "Why wouldn't you want to go?"

"Oh," You look at him, "it's nothing to do with you or Ned or Mj," You clarify. "I just- We've been to dances before, yeah?" You look at him and he nods. "Well, it's just like- I do have fun but..." You stop, looking up at the sky again. "So pretty," You murmur, staring at the moon as it seems to stare back. "I just- with my anxiety it's like I always want to do something like how I told that guy he was cute but I just.. don't. Well, I guess until today. I don't know, maybe I just didn't want a repeat of every dance ever." You stop for another moment this one longer than the last. "I know the night's not over," You look over at Peter, beaming at him, "but tonight has been a good night and it's shown me that I can do stuff like that and people actually reciprocate, y'know like.. my feelings!" You laugh at yourself, shaking your head and Peter laughs too.

He wishes he could tell you about his feelings; take a page out of your book and no matter the anxiety he experiences, tell you how he feels. But tonight doesn't seem like the right time, not now, he can't ruin this happiness you've garnered yourself. Maybe next time. Maybe he will take a page out of your book and ask you to a dance as something more than a friend... Or maybe he won't get the chance.