For Now- Bucky Barnes

pairing: bucky and male!reader
summary: bucky gets attacked, reader takes care of him. takes place in the 30s
genre: hurt/comfort fluff, angst
requested? yes.
warnings: talking about and mentions of rape, talk and mentions of getting attacked/assaulted, implied nudity, overall some sense of hopelessness
a/n: hope this is all right for your request, sorry about such the long wait. also want anyone who has been through this to know: it's not your fault, you are not alone, someone out there does love you, you are brave, and i am proud of how far you have come! all the love to you.

Bucky hugs his jacket as close to himself as he can as he walks the streets, heading to your apartment.  The wind is no friend today as it viciously whips at his face. It seems that someone is also no friend of Bucky as a man approaches from behind. Bucky tries to fight off the nerves he so clearly feels but is further bothered by the man grabbing his shoulder. Now, if Bucky can avoid it, he actually doesn't like to fight. He really only fights when Steve needs someone to stick up for him. And Bucky can defend himself if he needs to but he'd rather not fight right away. But this man leaves him no choice.

---

Bucky lies disheveled in the alleyway, cheeks stained with tears, body trembling, bangs swooped in his eyes, and his body aching. His stomach churns and his mind screams in agony. He's startled when he hears someone coming down the alley because he's helpless and can't bear to move. He tries to cover himself up as the person approaches.

"Buck?" 

It's Y/n. Oh my god, it's Y/n! Bucky lifts his head to meet your eyes and his lip automatically quivers. Some part of him wishes that you didn't find him but another part is ready to be taken up in your arms.

"What happened? Are you alright?"

Oh, god, how could he explain it? He can't answer and you quickly pick up on that.

"Uh, okay," You nod at him. "Let's just get you home," You look at him and he nods. You look over him, making sure he's not bleeding out or anything because you have no clue what's happened and you don't want your boyfriend to die. Thankfully, you don't see anything and help him up to his feet. You would have carried him if that wouldn't have stood out so much, so you settle for draping his arm over your shoulders and having him lean his weight onto you. You keep a tight grip on his waist and walk at his pace.

Finally, you reach your apartment and set him on the couch. "Okay, Buck," You kneel down. "You gotta tell me what happened, so I know how to help you, all right?" 

He swallows and nods.

You watch as he tries so hard to speak "Would it be easier to write it down?"

"Yes," He croaks out.

"I'll get you a glass of water, too." You smile softly at him. Whatever happened, you hope it wasn't too bad but it seems more and more like it is. You quickly head back to your boyfriend, offering him the water and notepad. You kneel in front of him, waiting patiently as he scribbles down his words. He hands over the notepad and sips his water, eyeing you cautiously.

You don't know how to feel when you read his words. He was raped. What could you do for him? You set the notepad aside and stand up to wrap Bucky in a hug. "I'm sorry," You whisper. "Should we clean you up?"

Bucky nods and opens his arms for another hug. He soaks up your warmth and lets his eyes close for a moment.

"Come on, Buck," You place his arm over your shoulders and walk him to the bathroom. "Okay, you can just get in the tub and I'll wash your clothes and be right back if you want me to." You look at him as you gather his clothes.

"You can come back," He says softly. "I- I don't want to be alone right now," 

Vigorously, you nod. "Of course, Buck, of course. I'll be right back." You try to be as fast as you can because you know Bucky needs you now and you want to be there. You step back into the bathroom and take a seat on the toilet, resting your hands in your lap. You're unsure what to do besides to stay by Bucky's side. You could try to report the crime to the police but a crime like this, one where a man is not only assaulted but raped by another man, is something unheard of even taboo. And then your thoughts shifted again, who would Bucky talk to about this? There are you and Steve but no actual professionals who could truly work with him about this. You bite your lip; you'll just have to be there for him, offer your support, and be understanding.

You snap yourself out of your thoughts after coming to your conclusion. You look over at Bucky and smile softly before getting on your knees. "Want me to wash your hair?"

Bucky nods. He misses your fingers combing through his hair, it's been a while. He lets himself disconnect from every part of his body besides his head, so he can feel your fingers roaming around his head. 

You wet Bucky's hair and rake your fingers through it all the while before moving on to shampooing his hair. You scratch his scalp as you apply the shampoo and listen to the little noises that slip past Bucky's lips. You scratch his scalp again as you wash out the shampoo. After you finish conditioning his hair, you move on to massaging his face and applying some soap too in the process. You move onto his shoulders, down his back and chest, then you stop there not wanting to trigger any unpleasant feelings or memories, especially given how recent everything happened. "Uh, I'll let you do the rest, Buck."

Bucky snaps out of his state and back into his body, mostly. After he finishes, you help him to your bedroom and he takes a seat on your bed. He asks you to pick out what to wear, asking specifically if he can wear your clothes. He watches you rifle through your drawers as he rocks back and forth a bit in his towel.

You dress Bucky in your pajamas, tuck him in, and cuddle up next to him. He turns to face you and rests his head against your chest. You hold him and play with his hair, pressing kisses to his head and face. You let him escape as you whisper to him and comfort him. You don't know what either of you is going to do but for now, all that matters is that Bucky feels safe and is comfortable as he sleeps in your arms.