Sing me Something Sweet to Sleep to-Bucky Barnes

pairing: bucky and male!reader
summary: mostly set in the 40s basically some memories of your blossoming love with bucky and then your present relationship
genre: songfic (sing me something sweet to sleep to by dandelion hands), mostly angst, some fluff
warnings: crying, death, mentions bucky's military service, implied sex, brief mentions of nudity, grief
a/n: really like this one but also hate myself cause how could i have done this? 40s bucky also makes me swoon like crazy ahhh

I don't mind if you forget me
Or the accidental brushes of our knees in your parents' car

You sat in the backseat with Bucky while his dad drove. Your palms were sweaty so you laid your hand against the cool leather of his father's car. Your leg twitched and hit Bucky's knee in the process. Your eyes darted up to his and he just smiled back. You hung your head and kept your eyes on your freshly polished shoes. 

After watching his father and making absolutely sure he wouldn't see or catch on, Bucky slid his hand over yours. He intertwined his fingers with yours and rubbed his thumb over the back of your hand. He bit his lip as he looked at you, a silent 'is this okay?'

You nodded and squeezed his hand. You looked at your intertwined fingers for a second before returning your gaze back to the window. You tried to act as calm as you could especially with Bucky's father just sitting ahead of you.

"Alright boys,"

You and Bucky pulled your hands back to your sides as Bucky's father looked at you both through the review mirror.

I don't mind if you regret me
Or the times you woke up naked in my bed to the sound of my alarm

Your arms were wrapped around Bucky's neck as his were around your waist. You boosted yourself up with your feet to plant a kiss on his cheek, "Buck." You nuzzled your nose against his, "Baby," You whispered.

He stirred with a quiet, incoherent string of words. His eyes fluttered open and he grinned upon seeing you. 

"You gotta get up," You leaned forward and pressed your forehead against his. "Even if I don't want you to," You muttered.

"I can always stay," Bucky took one of your hands and intertwined his fingers with yours. "I'll always stay for you."

You giggled, "Buck."

He chuckled, "What, too cheesy?"

You nodded and pressed a kiss to his cheek. "C'mon soldier!" You teased, biting your lip. "Don't you have to save the world?"

"Pre-enlistment is hardly saving the world,"

"Maybe I just want the bed to myself," You jested, letting go of his hand and trailing it down his side. Your eyes darted to his lower features and pulled a laugh from Bucky.

"Didn't have enough of me last night?" 

You were quick to retort, "I could never have enough of you, James." You planted a kiss on his forehead before swinging your legs over him. You straddled him and leaned down to press a kiss to his lips, "I'll make breakfast." You swung your leg over him again and got to your dresser. You slipped on some boxers and picked up Bucky's shirt from the floor, "Mind if I borrow this?"

Bucky's smile widened and he nodded.

Or the way you'd always ask if I'm okay like you could fix all the harm

You sat at the edge of your bed with your head in your hands. Bucky was being shipped to war and you couldn't do a thing about it. Tears fell down your face and dripped onto your hands. Your head shot up when you heard the front door open, "Y/n?" Bucky asked.