''Meredith, I am so sorry'' 𝟏 𝐱 𝟎𝟗

Merediths pov:

I was meeting Derek downstairs he finished his surgery before I finished my charts. 

I get into the elevator and push the button. It stops two times before I get out and I see Derek waiting for me in the lobby. I walk up to him ''long day'' he says. ''yeah'' ''someone out there has a steak with your name on it, and maybe a bottle of wine.'' ''This is why I keep you around.'' I respond with a smile on my face. 

''So we need to talk.'' he says grabbing his stuff. ''Wine first, talk later.'' ''you're trying to, uh, get me drunk.. so you can take advantage of me.'' I laugh at that. ''I think I like this rules thing'' ''me too'' he says while we both put on our jackets. He fixes mine and when we're about to walk away he looks shocked and a woman walks up to us. 

''Meredith, I am so sorry'' he says. I look at him confused.

''Addison, what are you doing here?""Well, you'd know if you had bothered to return any one of my phone calls. Hi. I'm Addison Shepherd." she says, and I stay quiet for a little. "Shepherd?""And you must be the woman who's been screwing my husband." she says, and that's when I realise, Derek was married the entire time we've been 'together'. 

I look at him and he can't even look me in the eye. I look back at Addison and she gives me a small smile. I look at the ground and walk away. ''Meredith!'' Derek yells. My feet start to move faster and I start to run. ''Meredith!'' I hear him, clearly. ''go away!'' ''Just wait. We should discuss this.'' 

I turn around ''Here is a thought, NO, quit following me'' ''at least let me explain.'' I turn around again ''Explain? You know when you should've explained, the night we met in the bar, before any other rest of it.'' I turn around and start to walk away again. ''yeah, that would have been a good time to discuss it.'' I say.

''Look I know how you feel..'' ''Do you.. because somehow I doubt that, because if you did, you would shut up, and you would turn around and go back inside, because you would realise that I'm this close to getting in my car and running  you down in the parkinglot.'' I say, yelling the end. 

I walk away and George walks over to me with an umbrella. ''Give me your keys'' ''I'm fine'' ''Meredith give me your keys, lets go home.'' 

We drive home and I walk upstairs. I should have known something was up, everything went too perfect. I put on one of Dereks shirts and lay on his side of the bed. A little later I hear a knock on the door ''go away'' ''Mer'' ''Derek leave.'' ''please let me explain.. please?'' I can hear the hurt in his voice but I dont know.. can there be a good reason for this? 

''fine'' he opens the door so so quietly and closes it when he steps in. I dont turn around. He sits on the end of the bed and I feel his eyes on me. ''One night, I came back from my work and I walked into my house. Something felt odd, it felt different. Like when I opened the door everything would change. The further I went up to my bedroom I came across a jacket that wasnt mine.'' 

I now do turn around. I look at him but he doesnt look at me. ''I opened the door to my bedroom, and thats when I saw my wife and my bestfriend in bed together. I kicked him out and I threw Addison out too, locked her out of our house, but when I heard her cries outside in the rain I couldn't do it. I let her back in and decided I would be the one to leave.''

''I walked out without anything and took the first plane out to Seattle. I already knew Richard and he hired me. I took the job here at Seattle Grace and that's when I met you. Drinking your tequila like no one else can. I immediately fell in love with you Meredith, the moment I saw you.'' he now does look up at me. 

''I've never felt like that about Addison, not in all these years we have been married. You make me feel alive. It's like I was drowning and you saved me. The moment I found her in bed with my bestfriend my feelings went away and I didnt feel the same. Please Meredith, you have to believe me.'' 

My thoughts are all over the place right now, he says he has no feelings for her but he IS married. I dont want to be a home wrecker. Even though he is saying that its over already. 

''Did you- uhm sign divorce papers?'' I ask. ''No not yet, thats what I was about to talk to you about. I was going to tell you everything tonight at dinner. Even show you I have the papers in my bag.'' ''sign them'' I say. 

''What?'' ''sign them'' ''I will'' ''when Derek? when? you should have just told me immediately. I dont know if I can trust you now.'' ''you can.'' ''How am I supposed to believe you?'' ''I- I dont know, I dont know, you cant.''

''So you're admitting that I cant trust you?'' ''No, you can trust me, I told you everything, I just- I dont know how to show you you can trust me. You should just try it, us.'' ''I dont know Derek.'' 

''hmhmm'' he says nodding his head. I smile a little knowing he knows he hurt me. ''I havent told my mom Addison cheated on me yet, she doesnt know why I'm here. She knows I met someone new, you, she thinks I'm cheating on Addison with you but it's worth it as long as I'm with you.'' 

''Derek'' I say with doubt. ''I- I'll leave, just please think about it.'' he says standing up, he opens the door and when he is about to step out I say in a whisper ''you can stay, if you'd like''

He turns around and looks at me. ''Are you sure?'' I nod my head and he closes the door again. ''I can uh- sleep on the ground if you want to.'' ''no it's fine'' ''kay, if you're sure..'' he pulls his shoes and pants off and lays down under the covers. 

He lays down at the other end of the bed to not make me feel uncomfortable. I soon fall asleep and when I wake up he isnt beside me anymore. There is a note. 

Breakfast is waiting for you downstairs. I didnt want to make you uncomfortable by staying until you woke up so I decided to get out early. I love you Meredith, I know we've never said it, but it's the truth, I'm sorry for hurting you. I'll see you later.

Maybe I should give him a second chance. I get into my clothes and walk downstairs. I see food and another note or something. I walk up to it and it's a copy of the signed divorce papers. I smile at it and eat a bagle and some drink some juice. I drive to the hospital and change into scrubs. 

I see Derek standing at the nurses station, I walk up to him. ''hi'' he says in a soft voice. I can see the pain in his eyes, is it that obvious with me too? I hope not. ''hi'' ''enjoyed your breakfast?'' ''yes, thank you.'' ''ofcourse'' ''I-'' I get cut off by his pager. 

''It's 911, talk later?'' ''yes ofcourse.'' he walks away and I just stand there. 

The later is becoming a few hours quick. I'm about to go home when I see him come out of the elevator. I walk up to him ''I love you too.'' ''wh-what?'' ''I. Love. You. Too.'' ''you do?'' ''I do.'' 

He lifts me in the air and spins me around. The nurses are clapping and I giggle. ''I love you, I love you, I love you'' he says. ''I love you'' I say back. He puts me down ''can I kiss you?'' I nod my head. He leans down and our lips meet. 

He pulls away and a smile creeps up on his face. ''Addison signed the papers, friday morning it's official.'' ''it is?'' ''it is.'' 

I lean in again, and the kiss is filled with love. He pulls away and whispers ''I love you so much.'' I smile at him and intertwine our fingers. We walk out of the hospital and get to his trailer.