seperation anxiety

Merediths pov:

"Mommy?" I hear from beside me. "What's wrong honey?" "I can't sleep" "are you having nightmares?" "nuh uh I-"

She wants to tell me something but I can't figure out what it is. "What if mommy lays with you for a little? Huh." She nods her head and a smile appears.

"Kay lets go." I grab her little hand in mine and we walk upstairs. She crawls on her bed and I lay next to her. I pat my chest and she lays her head down. I hum her a song while she falls asleep.

After about an hour I wake up in the same position with Derek staring at me from the doorway. "What are you doing?"

"Watching my favorite girls in the world. Why are you in Ellis' bed?" "She couldn't sleep." "Aha, I'm taking a shower"

——

I have no idea why but Ells won't sleep without me next to her. Tonight I have a surgery so I'm not home. "Der?" "Yea" "If Ellis cant sleep you have to lay with her." "I know Mer, it will be okay." "Okay, see you tonight, if something is wrong call me." "I will, loveyou." "Loveyoutoo"

Derek pov:

"Like the Mac and cheese Zo?" "I love it daddy" "good, what about you Ells?" "Hmhmm" "you tired?" she nods her head softly. "Let's get a bath first and then we'll go to bed okay?" "kay."

I take her upstairs and let the water fill the tub. I put her in and wash her hair with some princess soap which does not hurt when it comes in her eyes. I tickle her tummy and she starts giggling.

"That's the sound I love from my princess." She smiles at me and I give her a kiss on her head. "I love you Ells." "I luh you too."

Come, let's get you in your pyjamas. I change her and lay her down. "Where mama?" "Mama is at the hospital Ellie. Saving a life."

Her lip starts to tremble and tears well up in her bright blue eyes. "Ellie what's wrong?" "Want mama!" she cries out. "I'll lay with you and when mama comes back I'll send her in here alright?"

"Mama noww!!" "Oh Ellie, I'll call mama okay?" she nods her head and tears keep streaming down her face.

I grab my phone and dial Mers number. First time, voicemail. Second time, voicemail. Third time, "dr. Shepherd, your wife is in surgery." the nurse says while picking up. "I know but I need her, it's about our daughter."

I hear some rustling and then I hear her voice. "Der? What's wrong?" "Ellis is upset because you're not here." "Just lay with her." "It won't work Mer. She needs you, I don't know why but she needs you."

"I'll be there as soon as I can." "Hear that Ells mama is coming." A small smile forms on my daughters face. "Come" she crawls on my lap and she lays her head on my shoulder. I stroke her hair and try to soothe her.

I hear the front door close and footsteps come up the stairs. She opens the door and lifts Ells from my lap. "Hi honey, what wrong with you huh?" She snuggles closer to Mer and soon falls asleep.

——

Mers pov:

I'm not going into work today, Derek already left but Ellis won't let go of me. I don't know why she is like this. "Come on Ells. We have to get up now." "Kay mommy" "Can you get yourself dressed? I layed your outfit down on your bed, I'll go get a shower okay?"

"Leaving?" "What?" "leave me?" she asks, tears welling up in her eyes. "No, I'll be back Ells, I'm just taking a shower just like you always take a bath at night." "You back?" "Yes Ellie, I'll come back, when you're dressed I'll be back." "kay" she says doubting my answer. "Go go go" she runs to her room giggling and I take a quick shower.

"Ellie!!" "Mommy!!!" she runs up to me and hugs me tight. The way she is acting I feel like she is experiencing separation anxiety. I've been home for 2 weeks bc I took some days off of work, before that I was away a lot for work.

So I think she got used to me being home and now I'm gone more and she doesn't like it. "Wanna watch a movie?" "Yea, Rapunel" "you want to watch rapunzel?" "yes yes yes" "okay, let's make some lunch first okay?" "kay mommy."

We walk into the kitchen and I make us a sandwich and something to drink. I sit on the couch and she sits next to me, almost on my lap. "Ellie?" "Yes?" she says looking up at me with her innocent eyes.

"Honey, you know I'll always come home right? Everytime I leave our house, I'm also coming back the same day. You don't have to worry for mommy not to come back okay? Daddy will be here with you or Kira (babysitter) okay?" "You sure you come back?" "Yes Ells , always. I don't want to leave you guys ever" "okay mommy."

This is a good start. I'll have to build up the way of letting 'go' of her but it will be okay.

__Remember that seperation anxiety is a real thing and this can happen very early on in life but also a bit later. Don't take these things as a joke. I love y'all and I'll try and update more, give me ideas for the future if you have one! Have a good day!! <3__

Cr/idea: slutformerder hope you like it, thank you for the idea! <33