Chapter 11: New Moon

Derek shook his head with a laugh as he heard a violent smash and the line went dead. The conversation with his Chief of Surgery went just as he expected, neither better nor worse. He had to ultimately resort to blackmail to get his leave. But he knew he deserved the time off. He had barely been away from the hospital since he started working. NY Pres wouldn't crumble during the couple of weeks without him, as difficult as it was for him to admit it.

He deserved it and he needed it. What Meredith said the previous night, about not knowing himself, it broke him out of his comfort zone. He spent the majority of the night lying sleepless on his bed pondering on her words. Dr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde? A manwhore or Mr. Nice Guy? Was that all she saw when she looked at him? If yes, then his future looked really depressing. He realized his life must have been centered around cutting into brains and unwinding indulging himself in the pleasures of material world and between a pair of smooth legs. It was like that for a good couple of years, since his career took a spin. He suddenly cringed, the image of Colin Marlow, a distinguished cardiothoracic surgeon, floating in his mind. He wouldn't like to end up as a creepy old playboy popping blue pills to keep going one day.

He eyed his phone pensively. He should probably call his mother to inform her himself about the prolonged stay in Rachel. Otherwise she would be worried sick.

"Derek," he felt immediately guilty at her surprised tone. "Is the world heading to its end if my son is calling me?"

"Hey, Mom," he chuckled. "How are you?"

"Same old, same old," she said lightly. "I've just got back home, had a coffee with Nancy. She's been quite upset. Apparently, she's got some serious competition for the head position."

"Do you need me to call later? You must have a headache," he quipped.

"Be nice, dear," she berated him, amusement in her voice.

"Oh, come on, Ma. You know Nancy's the most terrible person to be around when she's mad- well second most terrible," he chuckled.

"Second?" Carolyn asked curiously. "And who's the first?"

"I... have met some people in here," he answered vaguely. "Quite interesting people."

"That's wonderful. Do you remember anyone from when you were small?"

"Not really. Well, maybe that strange woman, Mrs. Fallon. She remembered me."

"Oh," Carolyn's voice sounded even more curious. "Did she say anything to you?"

"Yeah, well, her usual intimidating mumbo-jumbo."

"She was... she still probably is a very wise woman," she said seriously. "Don't take her words lightly."

"Okay, Mom, okay," he laughed. "Don't worry, she's not going to curse me."

"Don't be silly, Derek. And everything else is going fine? Have you sold the practice already? What about the rest of the property?"

"No... I... I haven't yet actually," he stammered. Every day the perspective of erasing the most solid pretext for being around Meredith and leaving her behind in Rachel seemed less and less appealing. He was nowhere near being ready to let go.

"You can't come to terms with that Mr. Grey?" his mother kept asking.

"No, well, we've had differences..." he stalled for time. Certainly, he and Meredith had the longest history of misunderstandings in the world but he was not going to tell his mother that. Nor explain that M.E. Grey was in fact a woman. A staggeringly beautiful fascinating woman whom, let's face it, he couldn't get enough of.