Chapter 59

"So, what are the plans for today?" Amelia looked over everyone sitting at the table.

"What plans?" asked Derek.

"That's what I've just asked, genius." She rolled her eyes.

"We could do some sightseeing," proposed Addison.

"I don't know," Mark grimaced looking out of the window. For the first time since they came, and frankly for the first time Derek could remember, Rachel sky was gray, like a lead. The air felt oppressive and still. "It's kind of weird outside. I thought it was a land of never-ending sunshine. Isn't California close by?"

"I want to see the practice!" Amelia insisted with unhidden enthusiasm. "You said Dr. Grey did wonders to this place."

Mark let out a cough that sounded suspiciously like 'groupie'.

"Mia, it's not some secret government headquarters," chuckled Derek. "It's a town clinic. Don't get your hopes up."

"Were you disappointed when you saw it first?"

"I wasn't," he admitted. "But I was expecting less."

"Nothing you can say will discourage me. Besides, you took Mom to show her the practice! I want to go too!"

"She's Ma," Mark shrugged as if this argument put an end to the discussion.

"Mom doesn't stick her nose in where it doesn't belong and doesn't have the tendency to blurt out things that get me slapped."

Unoffended, Mia only raised her eyebrows skeptically.

"Okay," Derek sighed in defeat. "Mom sticks her nose everywhere but so far she hasn't gotten me slapped."

"Not to mention that I give birth to you."

"Carolyn, how could you stand them all those years?" Addison couldn't help but giggle.

"Oh, just patience of a saint and nerves of steel." A hearty laughter erupted around the table and was only interrupted by the sound of Derek's phone.

"Dr. Derek Shepherd," he answered standing up and walking out of the noisy kitchen to the foyer.

He was greeted by the familiar snarky voice. "Morning, McWeepy."

"Cris-"

"Shhhh!" her hiss made his ear ring. "No names!"

"Are you still drunk?"

"No, I'm not drunk, you idiot!" she snapped. "It's a deep undercover operation, so no names!"

"Is this for real?" Derek groaned with frustration.

"Haven't you learnt anything? We need to be cautious. You can't just steamroll into everything or you'll always end up with a black eye."

"Is there are reason you're shouting my ear off on this beautiful morning?"

"I don't know where Dereksville is but it must be shiny there," she answered back, her voice dripping in sarcasm. "I talked to Meredith again. And... I thought you'd like to know she's okay. She should be back in town later."

"Well, where is she?"

"She stayed the night in Lovelock. One of Karev's sisters lives over there."

"Is it that rival town?"

"No, Lovelock has over 1,800 people head start. But we'll get there one day. I'm counting on you, seeing that you have four sisters, Shepherds breed well."

"I'll be happy to help," he said conversationally. "But it might be difficult with Meredith not wanting to even talk to me."

"She will. The wheels are already in motion."