xiv. the final decision

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

IN THE DAYS LEADING UP TO the mission for Shiganshina, Erwin had explained to them that in the situation where an enemy would be caught, Levi would given the responsibility of giving out the injection Kenny had handed to him in his final moments

IN THE DAYS LEADING UP TO the mission for Shiganshina, Erwin had explained to them that in the situation where an enemy would be caught, Levi would given the responsibility of giving out the injection Kenny had handed to him in his final moments. The infection to turn a person into a Titan. This would allow said person to eat the enemy and attain their Titan power. "Seems if I inject this, I'll turn into a Titan. One of those dumb Titans, unfortunately. For a while, it would extend my life." That's what Kenny had said. And now, as they all stood over Armin's charred and barely breathing body, they knew what had to be done. However, Levi was hesitating, the box containing the needle remaining firmly in his hand.

   "Captain! Make Armin into a Titan and we'll have him eat Bertholdt!" Eren yelled, grabbing Bertholdt's body. Mikasa had arrived moments ago and had tears brimming in her eyes, staring down at Armin's body. "Hurry up and inject him!"

Mikasa lifted her arm into the air and let of a red flare, signalling to the others. What exactly she was signalling, Margot didn't know, but she also didn't ask. Levi snapped out of whatever it was that he was thinking about, his eyes down turned as he sighed. Lifting the box, he held it out to Margot. She stared at it. If my father had used the needle, he would still be alive. But then again, he didn't want it and we wouldn't have been able to save Armin. Reaching out, she felt her fingertips brush against her box, before she was stopped.

A strangled cry halted her movements, her grey eyes moving over to where Floch was crawling onto the rooftop, an unconscious body tied to his back. Erwin Smith. They both looked battered and bruised but Erwin was in worse state. A large chunk of his hip was missing, and it was a wonder the man was still alive with such a fatal injury. Well, Margot assumed he was alive. Floch had yet to say anything.

   "Captain Levi... I finally found you," Floch gasped out, his voice strained. "Commander Erwin is badly wounded! His stomach is gouged and his organs are demolished. The bleeding won't stop! I thought that injection might be able to help, but... What do you think?"

Silence. Margot turned back to her cousin; her hand still outstretched. Levi glanced at her before retracting his hand, clutching the box against his chest.

   "Captain?" Eren spoke quietly, eyebrows furrowed. Floch placed Erwin down beside Armin, allowing Levi to hover his hand underneath Erwin's nose to check if the man was still alive.

   "He's still breathing. He's... alive," Levi whispered.

Nothing else needed to be said for them to understand the situation. There was only one injection, but two people who needed it to survive. Although Margot had healing abilities, it required more energy to heal other people than it would take to heal herself - and she hardly had enough energy to heal herself let alone anyone else. Besides, both their injuries were too drastic. It was a decision between Armin and Erwin, and the choice was in Levi's hands. Levi stood up, his eyes refusing to look at anyone as he held onto the rectangular box.