xi. boiling point

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦ | ᵉʳᵉʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

MARGOT WOKE UP IN THE EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING, the sun barely having risen

MARGOT WOKE UP IN THE EARLY HOURS OF THE MORNING, the sun barely having risen. She felt a little nauseous from all the drinking she had done, which ultimately led to her decision to leave the Azumabito estate and go for a walk after having a glass of water, not straying very far from said estate. She was a wanted woman and wasn't stupid enough to wonder much further than the garden.

Sitting on a bench, Margot let out a light sigh before rubbing her eyes, missing the sound of someone joining her outside. When she did open her eyes, she was met with Eren standing in front of her, a curious look in his eyes. She only stared back at him, her back leaning against the bench and her right arm draped across the back of it.

   "You're upset with me." Eren was stating the obvious. Margot didn't respond for a moment, and for some reason, that frightened Eren more. Not knowing what he had done wrong and seeing the conflicted look in Margot's face. But just as quickly, her face turned stoic, leaving him unable to read her. "What's the problem?"

Margot honestly didn't know. She didn't like to let things disturb her mind for longer than she deemed necessary, and in her opinion, Eren's conversation with Mikasa had been on her and for longer than necessary. She didn't want to be insecure about it, but she was. She didn't want to be jealous, but she was. And perhaps it had all only added to the concerns she had pushed to the back of her mind and pretended didn't exist. What if Eren loves you, but not as much as he loves Mikasa?

Licking her dried lips, Margot returned her gaze to Eren's after not looking at him for a good few seconds.

   "You and Mikasa." That's where she started, but she didn't know where to go from there. She felt like her voicing this would only expose how insecure she was, and she was never good at talking about her insecurities. "What's up with that?"

   "What's up with that?" Eren repeated, frowning. "She's my best friend. She's family."

Family. That would make sense - Eren cared about her, like family. But the more she thought about it, the more she began to doubt herself. The hostility, she couldn't forget about it. All the way back to when they were cadets, Margot felt a certain hostility that she convinced herself was nothing to be worried about. The first time being after Margot had been discharged from the medical bay after her injuries sustained during the Trost evacuation and breach.

   "I heard Eren was visiting you every day," Connie teased, throwing his arm around Margot's shoulder as she ate some potato. "He's really into you, huh?"

   "Why does everyone keep saying that?" Margot asked, genuinely curious. "I think he was just being nice. I got bored in there on my own all day. Besides, you guys visited too."