xiv. the final expedition

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍
ᶦᵐᵃᵍᶦⁿᵉ | ᵉʳᵉⁿ ʲᵃᵉᵍᵉʳ

MARGOT HAD ISOLATED HERSELF in her room after witnessing Hanji's death, and nobody tried to bother her

MARGOT HAD ISOLATED HERSELF in her room after witnessing Hanji's death, and nobody tried to bother her. She was grateful for this, not wanting anyone to see her crying so hysterically. Or for anyone to see her in the state she was currently in, curled up on the floor by her bed, index finger and thumb rotating the ring Eren had gifted her.

Loving Eren hurts like nothing else.

She knows she shouldn't have gone with them - she knows she would've been a liability. But it still felt wrong to sit and do nothing.

You're just saying the same thing over and over to try and convince yourself, Margot realised, shaking her head and laughing humourlessly. She knows she was supposed to be out there fighting with the rest of them. And she felt like a coward for doing otherwise. For fleeing to Hizuru.

And as for Kenny, her son. Margot reached into her pocket, holding the piece of paper she had refused to leave behind. An unobtainable solution to prevent his death. That familiar tingle in her nose caused Margot to tilt her head back, desperate to keep the tears at bay. 

If Margot hadn't been so deep in her thoughts, she probably would've cussed out whoever had entered her room, not get ready to talk with anyone. It was just Acantha, the twins in her arms as she briefly evaluated Margot's state before sitting down beside the exiled Queen of Lyria, twins sitting in her lap. Margot, surprisingly, was the first to speak once she noticed that she wasn't alone anymore.

   "I don't know if I can save Kenny, Acantha," Margot says, exhaling outwardly as if she had been holding in that breath for a while. Truly, it was just Margot finding it difficult to breath.

   "What do you mean, Ñuha dāria [my queen]?" Acantha asked, eyebrows furrowed. Margot wished the woman would stop referring to her as that title - it only reminded her of Lydia's betrayal. Besides, she didn't feel like much of a queen. She never had.

   "I found the solution in Marley. In the library," Margot glanced at Acantha before elaborating further. "You know, the only way to keep him alive. He has to consume the blood of both his parents. Eren and I. How am I supposed to get his blood?" She laughs bitterly. "And what if it doesn't work? What if my blood kills him, Acantha?"

   "And what if it doesn't?" Acantha places a hand on Margot's shoulder. "Margot, it is the hard truth, but he will die eventually if not given the proper treatment. This could be the only way. But as you said, acquiring Eren's blood may be a difficult task."
Margot tears up, feeling Kenny grabbing at her face and babbling. She didn't want him to die. She didn't want anyone else to die.

   "We should extract your blood," Acantha goes on. "So that if we do somehow get a sample of Eren's blood, we can use it as soon as possible."

   "Right." Margot nods, hands fidgeting for a moment before she leaves to find the kitchen, hoping they had anything like a bottle for her to put the blood in.