Chapter 9

~~Continued Flashback~~

Her power is supposed to be Ricardo's. It was only natural that she would be hated for taking it away.

Despite knowing this, it still made her heart sink whenever she received their cold stares.

After her awakening, Diego would often vent his anger at Hilise, while Ricardo would stare at her as if he's staring at the crumbs on his fingertips.

Gabriel thought that Hilise was taking the attention of her brother and father away from her, so she raised the degree of being mean to Hilise.

It was impossible to find a way to transfer Hilise's power to Ricardo.

As time passed without finding a way to transfer it, Diego and Ricardo became more anxious.

Moreover, to acquire more information, they had to reveal to the Parvenons that it was Hilise who had the Inoaden's power.

It was Diego who ran out of patience first.

Eventually, he announced to the outside world that Ricardo had an awakening and made Hilise his shadow.

In rare cases, Hilise would be allowed to go outside to show the Inoaden's power as one of the four special-blooded families.

Of course, each time she had to hide herself from the public's eyes.

However, Diego's punishments would follow soon after Hilise makes a mistake in using her powers.

**BANG!

"Ah...!"

As soon as he entered the room, he slapped Hilise, who yelped and fell on the floor.

"What's with that act earlier? The execution of your abilities looked like they were losing energy midway, but you knew that already, didn't you?"

A part of her inner lip must've burst from the slap earlier since she could taste the metallic taste of blood.

Around this time, it was not uncommon for Diego to raise his hand on Hilise.

The maids are originally ordered to flog her, but when Diego can't stand it and wants to express his anger, he would hit Hilise.

"You know that people laughed at Ricardo earlier! Are you saying it's alright to humiliate Ricardo because of you? You're useless!"

Hilise crouched and hurriedly apologized in fear of being slapped again by Diego.

"I-I'm really sorry. I was trying to concentrate, but I suddenly felt dizzy that I couldn't even stand up..."

"Don't give me that lame excuse!"

Every fall, a harvest festival, which is organized by the four families, is held.

This time, Inoaden got the majority vote.

That's why, after the opening speech, the Inoaden's power was supposed to be shown to everyone to officially begin the festival. However, Hilise made a mistake because she was not accustomed to using her powers yet, so Ricardo was humiliated.

"Father, it seems like Hilise is already reflecting on her slip up, so you should stop there."

Ricardo, who was standing quietly behind Diego, dissuaded him.