Part 6/ Back to reality.

"What do you mean you think?"
"My period is two weeks late. And it's never late! Me and Uri were doing some...risky activities last month. And there was a pregnancy test under my sink,but I was too scared to take it home,so I came here,and it's positive,and I don't know what to do!" She starts crying again.

"Hey.Hey!" I shake her,trying to get her to focus on me.
"Let me see the box. Calm down." She nods as we walk to the bathroom,and sure enough there are two lines on the test. She hands me the box,and I stare at it "Are you sure you did it right?"
"Is there a wrong way to pee on a stick?!"
"Okay,okay." I look at the expiration date,sighing in annoyance.

"Lilly,this test is expired."
"Huh?" I hold the box in front of her,where it says that the date.
"I didn't know they expire! Does that mean it doesn't work?! What do I do? What about my period?"
"Look.Just let me change,and we'll go get more tests and check,okay?"
"No. No. What if its a fake positive. Or worse,a fake negative. Can't you do something in your lab?"

"Do what? We don't check for pregnancies."
"Please Charlie,I wanna be sure.I don't want to keep peeing on sticks. Please!" Her eyes start filing up again.
"Okay,let me just make a call."

I sigh,taking out my phone and searching for one of the lab's co-workers number.
"I'm guessing Uri doesn't know anything about this?" I ask as I dial the number,and she shakes her head "I don't know what to say to him."
I bite my lip,hoping she picks up "Hello." I hear on the other end of the line.
"Hi Aisha. This is Charlie."
"Hi darling. How was Amsterdam. I saw the pictures. You guys were shining there."

I chuckle "Yeah. It was really great. I'll tell you about it tomorrow. Listen, I was wondering If you could do me a favor."
"What's up?"
"If I gave you a blood sample, would you be able to find traces of HCG in it? If there even is any,for that matter. I'll explain later."
"Yeah,absolutely. Come by,I'm here till 1."
"Thank you so much. We'll be there."

"Get your coat. And call Uriah."

***

We're all a nervous wreck wile I take Lilly's blood into a tube, putting a cotton ball and a bandaid on her forearm.
"And how long will this take?" Uriah asks mid pacing.
"20 minutes. Tops." I take off my gloves and exit the small office to take it to Aisha,who makes small talk with me and thankfully asks no questions,before I head back to them.

I grab box of juice for Lilly,since I know needles make her squeamish,and I find them both arguIng very loudly.
"....you said that you were on the pill."
"I was. I still am. It's not always 100% effective,mister lawyer."

"Hey,hey. What's going on? Drink this." I hand her the juice,which she accepts and starts drinking immediately.
"I'm just confused as to how this could happen. We were very safe."
"The night you passed your family law exam." She says,making his eyes widen.
"Oh."

"Yeah. Oh."
"And you didn't think to tell me to stop and put on a condom?!"
"Well I'm sorry,I was too lost in the moment,because I hadn't seen you in a whole month. Excuse me for wanting to have sex with my boyfriend!"
They're shouting now.

"I guess all the support you were showing me in the beginning was all a show,huh? Because it seems that you hate me going to law school more every day now!"
"I don't,Uriah. I'm happy you're chasing your dreams. I'm with you,always. I would just like the same energy reciprocated back. You forgot our anniversary,for fuck's sake!"
"Again,I'm sorry! My mind was everywhere at the time."

I just stay there like a child of divorce,hearing them scream their lungs out at each other...in my workplace.
"And you couldn't even get a plan B or something?"
"Would having a baby be that bad? Is that such a terrible thing to you?!"
"Yes! Neither of us are ready. I'm in school,you have a shitty job. We barely see each other,and you want a baby?!"