Part 31/ The cold.

If I ever complain about summer being too hot again,I'm going to let myself drown in my tub.
It's colder than Santa's balls on Christmas Eve.
My nose is running,my lips are chapped,and my fingers are so close to turning into small ice sickles.

"Why aren't you texting me? You hate phone calls." Lilly says over the phone,her voice a little deeper because she's sick.
"I can't take my gloves off,I'm freezing. It's times like these when I sometimes miss Florida."
"Wrestling alligators and all." She says as I laugh.

"Did you talk to your dad? Is he feeling better?"
"Yeah," she sighs "Who climbs on top of a beaten old shed?"
"Give him some credit,he's trying to fix your and Uriah's bang shed."
"Ha-ha. Very funny. I'll have you know that..."

"Charlotte."
I stop in my tracks when I hear what I think is my name,but nobody here calls me that and lives.
"Lilly,just a sec." I look around and see a woman with a fur coat that probably costs more than my car,while holding a Gucci bag.

It's Stefan's mom.

"Holy shit,Lilly I'll call you back." I don't even wait for her response as I hang up and stuff my phone in my pocket.
"Hello." She says when I come closer.
"Mrs.Finn,what a pleasant surprise." I say,because I honestly am amazed at the balls this lady has to show up here after how they treated me.

"Let's not pretend now. I'm here because I need to talk to you."
Very straightforward then,alright.
"Okay.I don't have much time though,I have class in thirty minutes." She nods.

***

We ended up going into the close by coffee shop,where she insisted she'd buy me a hot coffee,and we sat down at a table by the window.
"So,how is Stefan?" She asks after a few minutes.

Cold,I wanted to reply.
"He's okay. He was still sleeping when I left."
She nods "That's right,I forgot you two live together." I smile slightly,not knowing what to say at this point.

"Do you plan to do that once you finish school?" She asks.
I clear my throat "I don't know. We haven't really discussed it." I pick the paper off the cup,fidgeting.
"Is that because you really don't know,or aren't sure if you truly want to."

I look up and just stare at the eyes of this woman who is clearly taunting me ,with that smug look on her face.
"Not to be disrespectful Mrs.Finn,but what do you want?" She obviously drained all the patience out of me.
"What I want," she says,her voice stern "Is for you to get through your head that you are not the girl for my son."

I frown,a little surprised at her boldness.
"I honestly thought that you liked me? How stupid was I?"
"I don't have a problem with you specifically. You can do whatever you want with your life. I just don't want my son to be a part of it."
"Why? Just why?"

"I have enough reasons Charlotte. And you know that. Fight after fight. Protests. You've broken more jaws than you have worn dresses for God's sake." I shake my head.
"Let us not pretend that my actions are the only reason you despise me Ma'am."
"Don't be ridiculous. I'm not racist. I don't have any issue with your race. I just don't want my family have anything to do with you people."

I actually let out a laugh,because that is exactly the type of shit racist people say.
"Look,you're a smart,beautiful girl. You have a bright future ahead of you. One that does not have to include Stefan. My husband and I want to make sure that."
"Excuse me?" She ruffles through her purse until she fishes out a piece of paper.