Other side of the world without you

Days have passed after Paradis's surprise attack at Marley. Petra is still cold on Levi. Her bright smiles back then are nowhere to be seen.

She seems fine everyday but there is something odd when it comes to Levi.

Levi's POV

I still don't have a chance to talk to her. I don't know what's wrong or what really happen to them since the 57th Expedition. I let them rest these days.

I sat on the dining table alone, drinking my black tea. Drowning at my thoughts when I heard footsteps approaching. I looked back and saw Oluo, Eld and Gunther.

"Oh! Good morning, Captain!" They greeted.

I responded with a smile as I watch them sit beside me. I don't wanna miss a chance, so I bravely asked them if Petra really acts like that when they are in Marley.

"Ahh.. You noticed that..." Eld said while lowering his gaze.

What's wrong?

<4 years ago>

Oluo's POV

"Why-"

I can feel someone is shaking my body continuously. I open my eyes and saw Petra with a blood on the side of her mouth.

"WAKE UP!" She shouted.

"This is the heaven, I guess?" I thought to myself.

I rise and saw bodies around us. What is this?

"What is thi-" I said but Petra cut me off.

"WE'RE ALIVE! THE SERUM WORKS!" She exclaimed.

Is this true?

Petra helped me to get rid of the cloth covering my whole body.

"I don't really know what happen, but I think they thrown off our bodie-" She stopped talking as we observe the bodies laying near us suddenly moved.

"ELD! GUNTHER!" She shouted while approaching them.

We really are alive.

After explaining to them what might happen, we go far away from the bodies and sat on the place where we think is safe from titans.

We immediately talked about what our next move is. We thought that there must be horses allocated to us, Commander Erwin will provide for this mission.

We roam around and to our surprise, we found horses and abandoned ODM gears.

"YEAH! THIS IS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT! THIS MISSION WILL COMMENCE-" I was stopped for a moment only to saw them 3 sitting already in each horse.

"Where's mine!?" I asked. The three of them laughed.

"There are 3 horses only! Share with me!" Petra said.
.
.
.

We rode away to the wall. This is what Commander Erwin told us. We are trusting him with all our might. We don't know what danger awaits us but this is for the humanity. If we succeeded reaching other's territory, this is a huge step on a truth for humanity.

After avoiding some titans, after an hour of horse ride, we saw an opening from a small wall. I can see on my friend's face the amusement.

A blue thing from afar. It must be the ocean. We are stunned for a moment. This is what Commander Erwin's theory is.

Petra's POV

We left our horses and look at this  large body of water. Everyone was having a good time. These 3 men play happily around the shore. I was observing every moment, trying to process all of this.

This is our fate. He must be grieving now because of our death. I can't imagine how painful this is for him, but I can't do anything. We are picked for this mission. Tomorrow, we will leave our homeland. I don't want to know what its like to live without you. I don't want to know the other side of a world without you. But the world is cruel for us, Levi.

After taking a rest for a while, we didn't waste a time to sleep. We must get there before the sun rise again. There is a abandoned boat, so we used that to sneak in the other side. Hopefully, no one caught us. We enter the "Intermittent Zone", and saw a residential place already.

"We must change our clothes!" Gunther whispers.

"Why?" Oluo asked confusedly.

This guy is still not taking everything seriously.

"Did you leave your brain back there!? It is too obvious that we are soldiers!" I whispered.

"Yeah... Petra's right..." Eld agrees.

Destiny is siding on us. We saw clothes hanging from one of the house yards. This might be stealing, but we have a mission to be fulfilled, so without hesitation, we grabbed what we think fits for us.

The 4 of us go on the small alley and get change. I noticed that the badge of the Wings of Freedom in my jacket is missing. I wonder why.

After changing, we try to blend in the people there. We exchange the gold Commander Erwin gave us to their money.

Everything seems so different here.

Few days after, we manage to get a job here. We needed to earn money for living. Although, we struggle to have an identity here, but thanks to Eld's great thinking, we get used to our "own story".

<End of flashback>

"Petra didn't change on our first year there. But I personally notice some changes in her attitude few years after that..." Eld added after telling how me they manage to infiltrate Marley.

"I think she realizes everything and get traumatize, well, we all do." Gunther added.

"At the first place, why did Erwin really push his plan back then..." I said.

"Captain, may I ask, when did you knew that Commander Erwin have a mission for us?" Oluo asked.

"Months after we reclaimed Wall Maria. Almost a year after your deaths." I answered.

"After knowing that, we go to Marley." I added which surprised them.

"You did go to Marley 4 years ago!?" Eld asked.

"Yes. To find the four of you there. We stayed there for 2 weeks, hoping to see you all. But we failed and we lose our hope that you all are still alive." I explained.

"That's why.... At least we are all together now again!" Oluo exclaimed.

We continue our conversation. Catching up some things that happened here. It feels good to talk to them again.

I spend my day like I always do, finish some paperwork and report to Hange.

I was on my way to go to my room when I saw Petra going the opposite direction of mine.

I want to talk to her.

I save all of my courage to talk to her.

"Petra." I called. She only looked at me without saying a word.

"C-Can we talk? Pleas-" I said but she cut me off.

"Sorry, but I'm tired... maybe next time, Captain..." She responded and continued to walk away from me.

"I see..." I responded in air.

I entered my room and lay already on my bed. Thoughts started to fill my mind.

What can I do to make you feel better, Petra. I missed you so much and now your here, you didn't want to talk to me.