Part 49

Klaus and Elijah hadn't said a word to each other.

They both sat in the living room, reading books with a dead girl on the coffee table. She was Klaus's gift to Elijah but he did not want her.

Classical music played to fill the silence but that was interrupted when Rebekah walked into the room.

"So this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family: vampire book club." She said.

"Reading edifies the mind, sister. Isn't that right, Elijah?"

"Yes. That's quite right, Niklaus."

"And what's this business?" Rebekah pointed to the dead girl.

Amelia walked into the room and everyone glanced at her before going back to what they were just doing.

"This is a peace offering." Elijah finally answered.

"I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my big brother might be a bit peckish."

"So I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought. I'd simply prefer to see a change in behaviour that indicates contrition and personal growth, not this nonsense."

"I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus smirked.

"Well, I suppose I'll fetch the rubbish bin because she's staining a 200-year-old carpet." Rebekah stormed out, passing Amelia with a smile.

"Oh, yes." Elijah quietly said.

"You boys are weird." Amelia said as she also walked out the room.

She made her way into the kitchen and looked around the fridge for anything to eat.

Once she poured cereal and milk into a bowl, she made her way back to the living room and sat herself besides Klaus.

Rebekah was on the floor, scrubbing the blood off the floor.

She looked up at Klaus and read what book he was reading.

"Poetry about poisoned apples from dead trees. Looks like someone is worried about impending daddy hood." She said.

"Nonsense. Elijah is back. In his presence, all problems turn to pixie dust and float away." Klaus fake smiled.

"Strange, I don't recall any pixie dust from the darkness of the coffin I was recently forced to endure." Elijah said.

"Oooh, I like sassy Elijah. We could of probably gotten on a bit better over this millennium if you were more like this." Amelia smiled.

Elijah shook his head but smiled as he opened the book he was reading previously.

"What are you doing with mother's spell book?" Rebekah asked.

"Well, in exchange for my freedom, I promised the witch Davina that I would share a few pages from mother's grimoire." Elijah answered.

"Are you sure that's a good idea?" Amelia asked.

"It'll help her learn to control her magic. Thought we'd begin with a little unlinking spell."

"Wait. You want to use her to unlink me and Sophie?" Amelia asked.

"Sophie brought us to this town under false pretences. She doesn't just want us to take down Marcel and his minions. She wants to take Davina back. So she yoked her own cause to ours, with magic, threats and half-truths. Well, no more. As of now, our deal with Sophie Deveraux is null and void."

"Does this mean I'll get my magic and abilities back?" Amelia smiled, excitedly.

"I assume so." Klaus smiled.