Chapter 42

Jack's POV

"Where you want to eat buddy?" "McDonalds." Tanner told me. I pulled off the interstate and headed to McDonalds. After driving for five minutes, we arrive at McDonalds.

I took Tanner out of his car seat. He held my hand as we walked in. "What can I get you today sir?" The young boy asked me. "What you want Tanner?" "I want chicken nuggets." Tanner told me. "Okay. I'll have a chicken nugget mighty kids meal and a two cheeseburgers. Also, I need two sweet teas." I told the young man. "Okay. That'll be $12.19." I handed him a twenty dollar bill. He handed me my change back. Tanner picked out a table for us to set at while I waited for the food.

I got our food and headed back to the table. I gave Tanner his chicken nuggets and then I took my cheeseburgers out. We ate in quiet for about five minutes. "You like your food?" "Yeah." Tanner said with a mouthful of chicken nuggets. I laughed. "After I'm doing eating daddy, can I play in the slides?" Tanner asked me. "Sure buddy." I said and then smiled. Tanner ate very fast, so he could go play on the slides inside.

I was watching Tanner play. I took my phone out of my pocket. It read 2p.m. I then put it back in my pocket. I'll give Tanner fifteen minutes to play.

I was setting at the table by myself, until someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around to see who it was. It was Leigh and her best friend! "Oh hey Leigh? Why are you here?" I asked her and then stood up. "Just here to spend a week, then back home to start college." She told me. "How did you know it was me?" I asked curious. "We were passing and I saw your jeep, so I decided to come here to see you." She said and smiled. I smiled back. "Why are you setting all alone?" "I'm just watching my little boy." I said straight forward. "Your little boy... You have a kid...?" She asked me. "Yes Leigh I have a kid." I told her. "Wait, was you fucking another girl while we were together!" She raised her voice. I stood up quickly. "No! No! I had a son with... Mandy." I told her. "Mandy...? Mandy!" She said. "Yes Mandy." "Oh my god... Why are you telling me now that you have a son?" She asked me. "Because honestly, I just found out." "Are you sure it is even yours!?" She said. "Yes Leigh it's mine!" "Prove it!" She yelled. I walked in, yelled for Tanner, he slide down the slide, I picked him up, and carried him out to Leigh. "Look at him Leigh. That was me up and down when I was his age." I told her. "Wow Jack... He-he looks actually like you did..." "Yeah. So do you believe me now...?" I asked. "I have to go..." Leigh said with a sad face. She then left after saying that.

What just happen was crazy. It was... I don't even know how to explain it. "Daddy, who was that?" "Just... Just a girl." I said. It was quiet for about thirty seconds after I said that. "Let's go home buddy." "Okay." Tanner said.