Chapter 13

Mandy's POV

I hurried to check out.

"Mom. Mom. Why are you walking fast." Tanner said while I pulled him to the car because I was walking fast. "We just need to get home. Ok. Mommy doesn't feel good." I unlocked the back trunk. I put the groceries in them. I pushed the cart into one of those cart holders. I put Tanner in his car seat. I got in the car. I backed up and pulled out of Walmart's parking lot.

"Mommy. That man was nice to me. I asked him if he had a little boy like me. He just smiled and said no. He then gave me a high five because I told him my abcs." Tanner said a little fast. I just smiled. I wanted to say that's cute and other things, but nothing would come out. "Why you not talking." Tanner said. "I don't know baby." I said. I looked through the rearview mirror to look at Tanner. After I said that, his smile went away.

I pulled into the apartment's parking lot. I got Tanner out of the car. I pulled the trunk up. I grabbed a few groceries in my hand. Tanner only carried two bags. I knew I would have to make another trip. We walked up to our apartment. I unlocked the apartment's door. We walked in. We laid the groceries in the kitchen. I walked back out to the car to get the rest of the groceries, while Tanner stayed inside. I got the groceries, shut the trunk, and locked the car. All of a sudden, my stomach turned upside down. I ran back inside. I didn't even shut the door. I threw the groceries inside the kitchen. Tanner watched me run to the bathroom. I bent over and threw up. Just the thought of knowing Jack lives here made me sick. Tanner came into the bathroom. "Are you okay mommy?" I wiped my mouth and flushed the toilet. "Yeah, baby. Mommy just felt sick." "You want medicine?" He said. I laughed. "I'm good Tanner." Tanner then walked out of the bathroom.

I walked out to the kitchen. I put the groceries away. We finally had food to last us a good couple weeks. I poured my a glass of water. I was getting a headache so I took some Ibuprofen. I walked into the living room where Tanner was. Tanner must have shut the door for me. I turned the TV on for him. He must of thought I read his mind because he looked at me and smiled. I smiled back.

I walked into my room. I laid down. I turned the TV on. "Tanner!" I yelled. "What!" He said. "Come here." I told him. He walked to my room. "What you want mommy? SpongeBob is on." He said. When he said that, it made me smile. "Wanna take a nap with mommy?" I then did a pouty face. He looked at my face for awhile. "Please." I begged. "I guess so." He said. He crawled into bed with me. I wrapped my arms around him. "Want me to go turn the TV off?" He asked. "No. It's fine." I said.

I rubbed my fingers through his hair. I hummed him a song for about two minutes. I looked down at him. He was asleep. I closed my eyes and drifted away.