18- 𝗢𝗻 𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗥𝗼𝗰𝗸𝘀

"Your usual, Miss. Maldonado" the bartender spoke, sliding a glass of whiskey along the bar top and stopping right in front of Natalia.

"Thanks" Natalia muttered, noticing that, unlike her order every time she came to the Ember, he had loaded the glass with ice cubes.

Luckily, Natalia let it slide. She needed a real fight tonight, not just a petty boxing match with the bartender who was only doing his job, no matter how bad he was at it.

Natalia just continued to take long sips from the glass, bathing in the feeling of the hot liquid rushing down her throat. She would never get used to the rush she felt every time she drank, how all of her worries would just fade into the background and she'd be left with unusually optimistic thoughts.

The Ember was surprisingly empty for a Saturday. Even though it was only the early afternoon, Natalia expected a larger crowd- particularly one which was interested in a fight.

Considering Xavier had practically barred Natalia from ever stepping foot in the Italian Mafia for the foreseeable future, she figured that she would wait it out in the Ember until someone struck up a fight. Then, she would intervene and finally get a taste of the violence she so desperately missed.

Sure, it's pretty messed up to think like that. But, when you grow up in this world, the only thing that you can really depend on is your fists striking another's face and the feeling when you finally accomplish the murderous mission you were sent out to do.

Brutality really was her best friend.

It was there for her after her father's death, when she had forced herself into a position of danger just to learn how to protect herself. That, of course, paid off- but it also helped to feed an insatiable appetite for destruction.

Natalia had moved from fights in the alley of her hometown to helping to take down infamous Mafia organisations. The only thing she still knew was how to fight, so much that she had almost forgot any feelings- especially love.

She had been in one relationship in her life, and that was enough to drive her away from ever putting herself in that position again. That sheer vulnerability when you open yourself up to someone was agonising, but not as painful as them using that as a weapon- directed directly against you. Natalia had experienced that first-hand.

During the time that Natalia was practically contemplating every single life choice she had ever made on a measly, beaten-down barstool, a lot of time had passed- and a lot more whiskey glasses had been emptied.

The Ember had begun to fill up and the music had started to increase in volume, meaning that Natalia no longer had to sit on a lone barstool and feel sorry for herself.

Excitement began to creep onto Natalia, the anticipation of a bar fight making it almost impossible for her to sit still. At least, this time, she knew no one was here to jeapordise it.

"Two whiskeys, neat- and hold the rocks."

Natalia had spoke too soon. Way too fucking soon.

"What are you doing here, Romero? Shouldn't you be planning the next fucking Russian-American massacre?" Natalia huffed, the alcohol in her system making her not even attempt to hide the jealousy in her tone.

"Here you go, amore- it's on me" Elias told her, passing her a glass of whiskey which seemed to have a shortage of ice cubes. Natalia wondered how he knew her so well, how he knew exactly what to do in every situation she was in- she didn't know whether she loved or hated it.

"Always the gentleman" Natalia joked, grabbing the glass and taking a large sip. And, by large, she emptied the full glass in one swig.

"Always the lady" Elias replied and Natalia just sent him an intimidating stare, which Elias found hilariously cute, but decided to hide it.