27- 𝗕𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗸𝗶𝗻𝗴 𝗣𝗼𝗶𝗻𝘁

The halls were no longer quiet, the echoing of footsteps and the distant sound of rushed chatter far different from earlier.

Natalia immediately grasped the bottle tightly in her hand, the rim of the bottle locking between her lips as she drank. She drank to numb herself from the truth about to spill from her lips.

The fact it was Russian vodka helped to stop her from feeling whatsoever. Natalia hated the Russians, but they certainly knew how to make their alcohol- and she needed the liquid courage right now.

Sighing, Natalia heard the sound of footsteps approaching, a stubby looking man tapping rapidly on his phone. Although Natalia was meant to be locked in a basement, she didn't have the energy to hide from every bystander who walked past.

Suddenly, the man looked up from his phone, noticing Natalia approaching as his eyes turned wide.

"Hey, you're meant to be locked away" The man spoke, brows furrowed until he looked around, noticing that Natalia didn't halt in her tracks and instead took another swig from the bottle.

"Hey! Someone he-" The man started but was cut off as Natalia reached him, smashing the bottle over his head as he fell limp towards the floor.

"You just made me waste a really good bottle of vodka" Natalia muttered, throwing the shards of broken glass beside him. "Bastard."

Natalia didn't stop, but her steps did become slower, debating whether she should really be doing this.

She could easily just run away, grab some money from one of her safes and do what she was planning on doing in the first place. Leave this damned Mafia life and start a new one, a life without fear or looking over her shoulder every few seconds.

But she couldn't do it. And she didn't know why.

Her steps were still heading in that same direction, though, the landing coming into view as she spotted Azaiah and Karl having a heated discussion.

"She has done nothing to us- if she was going to, she would've done it by now. Without her, our missions wouldn't have been half as successful-" Azaiah started but Karl cut him off, throwing his arms out in fury.

"Seriously? She's the one who brought a London Mafia member into our home-" Karl started, but Azaiah firmly cut him off.

"My home- you are nothing more than Xavier's petty little slave" Azaiah told him and Karl just emptily laughed.

"People call her after a poison- she may look like a harmless lady to you, but she is filled with a venom that could destroy us all."

Natalia didn't realise she had stopped in her tracks until her feet picked up their pace yet again, her footsteps catching Azaiah and Karl's attention.

"Wha- how did you get out?" Azaiah asked, wide eyed as he watched Natalia attempt to saunter past them.

However, Karl immediately walked up to her, grabbing her arm as he turned her around. Before he could even react, Natalia brought his elbow to his nose, sending him stumbling back.

"Don't ever touch me- and don't ever talk shit about me again, okay?" Natalia told him, her hands trembling slightly as she started walking again.

"Nat, where are you going?" Azaiah asked her, walking behind her but leaving a generous amount of space between them. He certainly didn't want a broken nose.

"To go find him." Azaiah didn't need to be told a name to know the person she was referring to was Elias.

"There's no use- he left a few hours ago to go get some air" Azaiah told her and she froze in her tracks, looking towards the floor.