28- 𝗛𝗼𝗹𝗱 𝗠𝗲 𝗡𝗼𝘄, 𝗠𝗶𝘀𝘀 𝗠𝗲 𝗟𝗮𝘁𝗲𝗿

The annual Mafia Masquerade Ball. The coming together of calculated murderers to enjoy a so called uneventful night, entailing a lot of alcohol- how else could they stomach to be in a room with each other?

It has been a withstanding tradition for generations, everyone calling a cease fire to enjoy one night of not looking over your shoulder. Not waiting for an attack to be launched against you.

It may sound fun, and it did to Natalia at first- but it usually ends in a blood bath and heated arguments, especially due to the Russians' and the Italians' immeasurable anger issues.

There Natalia was, sat in the limousine as they neared the building, seeping with grandeur and reeking of upper class old men. Estela and Enzo sat alongside her, enjoying a bottle of bubbly as Natalia just stared into the distance.

Apparently, if you focused on one thing for just the right amount of time, everything else faded away and you would forget about the harsh reality surrounding you.

Like the time Elias gave you his mother's necklace.

Natalia visibly winced at even the thought of it, her hand clutching onto the necklace around her neck. But, it didn't give her the comfort she had hoped for.

A dainty sliver chain hung around her neck, a simple diamond sitting just above her breasts. She thought it would be best that she didn't wear it, considering the tussle her and Elias got into the other day. And it wouldn't be the best thing if the other Mafias went investigating and found out it was his ring around her neck.

"Talia, you know you didn't have to come tonight, we would've got caught in the crossfire for you, you do know that, right?" Estela asked, a hand on Natalia's knee, which was showing through the slit in her dress.

Natalia stayed silent, nodding her head meekly as Estela passed her a glass of Prosecco, which she gladly took.

"I know you don't get on well with mama, but we're always here for you, no matter what- we need you to say you know that" Enzo told her, looking at her as Natalia sighed quietly, quickly putting on a smile.

"I know, but this isn't a pity party- we're here for either business or pleasure" Natalia told them and Enzo couldn't help but let out a chuckle. Estela quickly swatted his arm, rolling her eyes as she closed her eyes, praying the ground would just swallow her up.

"What have I missed?" Natalia asked, furrowing her brows as Enzo caught his breath, tears brimming in the rim of his eyes.

"Stel is certainly here for pleasure-" Enzo started but was cut off as Estela stamped on his foot with her heel.

"You say another word and you're going to wish you had never been born, Enzo Maldonado!" Estela yelled at him but he just couldn't stop laughing.

"Stel, what's going on? I'm your sister, remember?" Natalia told her and Estela just shut her eyes, wanting to bury her face in her hands before remembering the hours the stylists spent applying her makeup.

"It's nothing, Enz is making it sound worse than it really is" Estela told her and Natalia just quirked an eyebrow.

"Then tell me, I won't judge" Natalia spoke, taking a swig of the Prosecco as she swirled the liquid around in the glass.

"It's not even a big deal, I promise-"

"C'mon, Stel, just tell her."

"It's not like I'm gonna blab my mouth to anyone, there's no one apart from you guys who will actually listen to me at the moment-"

"Fine. Fine, I'll tell you" Estela interrupted, voice loud but it lowered as she calmed down, sending Enzo a death stare for even putting her in this situation.