Butterflies and Spines of steel

It's a week before the wedding, and Sunvac was pumping with adrenalin. Ryan, the drama queen was running around, driving everyone, up the wall. Carter was often behind him, putting out fires. Riley stayed out of his way as much as she could, for, as much as they loved each other, they did fight as siblings do, when faced with unreasonable or annoying behavior.

She understood though, why he was acting that way and helped Carter as often as she could, to put out the fires. Ryan was scared. He hadn't seen his family for so long and he was afraid of them hurting Carter. Both, Carter and Riley knew this.They had a mutual agreement, with out words spoken that nobody was going to hurt Ryan, while they were around. Riley had not fought for herself because Lucien had destroyed her with his lack of trust but for Ryan and Carter, she would take on an army. Carter on the other hand, could take care of himself and his protective attitude towards Ryan, gave him a backbone of steel.

If push came to shove, their back up plan was to pretend that Ryan and Riley were a couple, until his family left. They were due to leave two days after the wedding. This worked out in their favour as they didn't have to see those people for very long. Riley didn't mind pretending as she would do anything for the boys. They were all she had. Loving was painful. Healing was worse. It was best, to never love, then you would never hurt. She could never trust again. Once was enough to last a lifetime. Her priority was the boys and Sunvac and all it entailed.

She was disturbed from her thoughts when her mobile rang. It was Carter. Grace, her fiance and some of their family had arrived. Excited to see Grace again, Riley ran out of her office. She was so excited and happy to see Grace and Stacy. She was wearing her famous converse and usual jeans, shirt and jacket with her hair tied in a high bun. No make up, no extras, and she looked gorgeous. (AN: Okay that's my opinion. Riley doesn't agree but my opinion counts) Riley couldn't care less about how she looked but the simple fact was that she had natural beauty and didn't need to bother with anything else.

Racing into the reception area, Riley didn't care who saw her crazy behavior. Immediately picking out Grace because of the hugs she was dishing out to Ryan, and the excited noises, she was making, she didn't even notice, the couple on her left, who looked up at her shout of "Graceeee!" The guy froze. The girl with him, tugged on his arm to get his attention back, but she failed. Burning eyes, followed Riley as she reached Grace and grabbed her into a tight hug. The two girls burst into tears, as they almost squeezed the life out of each other. Not to be outdone, Stacy squealed and wrapped her arms around both and when Grace let go of Riley, Stacy held her tightly.

Ryan broke them up, by telling them that their cottages were ready. Riley offered to go with them as she couldn't bear to let go of Grace and Stacy. She greeted Mr Sinclair and Justin, Grace's fiance. She still didn't notice the couple standing to one side, away from where she stood. She met Justin's parents, Mr and Mrs Charleston. They seemed nice. Getting some of the staff to take the luggage, she led the way to the golf carts to transport them. Busy checking the number of people, to transport, she laid eyes on Lucien Sinclair for the first times in years. His eyes burned into hers. (AN: Have a good look. Estupido!) He was looking at her when she noticed him. He stood next to Elena and another guy who was looking at her strangely. She nodded and carried on checking. Once the number of vehicles were sorted out, she got into one, with Grace and Stacy. Usually, they were well prepared but Grace hadn't been sure when she would actually arrive. 

Once they arrived at the cottages, Riley spent time with Grace, Stacy and Mr Sinclair and helped them to settle in. Justin and his parents were in another cottage and Lucien, Elena and Roberto, the guy who was standing next to Lucien, were in the other cottage. She found out that Roberto was Justin's friend and best man. She didn't dare go to that cottage, instead, she sent one of her staff. Using work as an excuse, she finally left the cottage. As she got into the golf cart and drove off, she saw Lucien walking to his parents cottage. He stopped when he saw her leave. She didn't acknowledge him. Didn't even look at him as she drove past him.

If she looked back, she would seen a man in anguish. A face full of sorrow. A face full of regret. A face full of longing. (She didn't look back, so she didn't see that. If she did, would she have seen that? Did Lucien still care? Anyway, back to the story) Riley got back to her office and worked on something (I don't know everything!) to keep herself busy. The butterflies flying inside her tummy, wouldn't give her a rest. She had made arrangements for a spa day for the next day. She was anticipating the dinner she had arranged for Grace and Justin. She hoped Grace liked it. It was a semi formal do. Grace liked fairy lights, so she had arranged for one of the smaller dining rooms that was outside with a sort of inside theme. It looked like a normal dining room without a ceiling, or a forest with furniture. It was surrounded by trees and the fairy lights hung from the trees. The room had been ready since this morning when Grace arrived. She refused to think about anything else.

She got ready after work. She would go there with Ryan and Carter. Ryan and Justin had reconnected although, she sensed some reservation in Ryan, when it came to Elena. She didn't want to think about it. She had enough on her plate and her priority was to protect Ryan and Carter. When she heard a knock on the door, she grabbed a jacket and went, to open it for the boys. They both took one look at her jeans and converse and shook their heads. Each one grabbed an arm and practically dragged her to her closet. They always bought dresses for her as gifts and she never wore them. Selecting one from the closet, Ryan handed it to her and pushed her towards the bathroom to go change. She resisted. "You silly, billy child of a stubborn nanny goat, go change now, before Carter holds you and I change you. Now! Go!" Carter that idiot, just laughed. Scowling of them, Riley went to change. She came out wearing the dress and her converse. The dress was a dark purple, almost black with fitted, half sleeves, molded to her chest and flared slightly after her waist. It ended at her thighs. The boys sighed, as they thought how lovely she looked. They knew she wouldn't change anything else. So with her hair in a high bun, a beautiful dress and converse on her feet, she left her apartment with a brother on each arm.

When they arrived at the dining room, almost everyone was there. They almost walked inside the room, when a voice came from behind them. "You!" They turned and saw that it was directed at Ryan, by Lucien. Confused, Ryan and Carter looked at each other then at Lucien. In fact they glared at Lucien. Riley had warned them to behave as they were getting paid for the wedding,  and couldn't mistreat the guests. Lifting one eyebrow, Ryan asked, "Me! Yes?" Lucien gave him a disgusted look and piercing Riley with a murderous one, he walked inside, alone. The trio looked at each other, shrugged and made their way inside. Grace loved everything and she couldn't stop voicing her gratitude. Riley stuck close to the boys or Grace and Stacy. She felt the dirty looks and saw them, whenever she glanced his way. She chose to ignore him. Elena was friendly as usual and greeted Riley with a hug. Riley hugged back with an expressionless face.

Riley thought of inventory lists as she socialized and ate her dinner. Lucien, couldn't seem to stop glaring at her. At one point, she had had enough and just glared back. Her eyes darkened with fury at this hypocrite's behavior. She forgot herself in that moment and drank a bit too much. By the time, they all left to go to bed, she was tipsy. As a result, when Lucien cornered her as she came back from the bathroom, she almost pushed her face into his and said through gritted teeth,"Fuck off Lucien!" She then walked away, leaving a stunned man behind.

AN: That's my girl. No jackass should intimidate a girl who he broke, just because he thinks he can. Let's be fair though. What did he actually do this time? Next chapter the Jackasses POV)