Happiness eclipsed by sorrow

So, we know what happened in the last chapter. Will Lucien get his chance, to talk to Riley, or not? Does he deserve a chance? Should Riley forgive and forget? 

The wedding day dawned, bright and sunny. Riley was up early. There was lots to do. Springing up, out of bed, she walked to the bathroom. She stood in front of the mirror and looked at herself for a moment. "Riley, you are better on your own. You've built something out of nothing. Don't let Lucien destroy your peace of mind. This wedding will be over soon and he will leave tomorrow." Riley nodded at the woman in the mirror. She was fine on her own. She looked at herself again and nodded. "I no longer feel shame ot guilt, for having sex with him. I can't call it making love, although I still love him. He's engraved on my heart. My body wants him. So what, if I took something for myself. You Riley, can get through this again. You did it before. You can do it again." Pep talk over, she proceeded with getting ready for the day. Before leaving the bathroom, she took one last look at herself and nodded to the girl in the mirror. Time to be herself.  Time to be that fiery girl, she used to be.

Riley walked with purpose. Her strides were firm and sure. The wedding was in two hours and she trusted her staff to be ready. Most of the preparation had been done already. The rest of the morning was spent, adding final touches to Grace's dream theme.  Finally, it was time, for the wedding. The guests started to arrive. She noticed Lucien and Elena immediately but didn't give them any attention. Her job was to take care of the bride and groom.

Lucien couldn't help noticing how lovely Riley looked. She was wearing a lilac, skirt suit. He never paid attention to what girls wore. Riley was the only girl, he had noticed. She always looked lovely in whatever she wore. Riley wasn't flashy nor did she look for attention. People noticed her though. He had seen that throughout their time together. He realised something as he looked at her. "He had never stopped loving or wanting her. Love makes a person irrational and stupid at times. Nomatter how angry he had been, the love had never gone. It had turned to hatred but deep down  his love had been there. Just waiting.  He looked at Elena sitting next to him and wondered what to say to her. He could see that she was in a bad mood, but she was clinging onto him. Her arm was wrapped around his. Why did it suddenly feel constricting. Was he being fair to Elena? He had to talk to Riley first. Only then, could he deal with the rest." He turned away and forced himself to focus on Grace's big day.

Grace was finally married to the love of her life and she couldn't be happier. She had asked Lucien and Elena to speak on her behalf and she was extremely satisfied with her choice. Before she got here, she had wanted to ask Riley but decided against it when she saw what was going on. She was glad she hadn't as she saw how good her brother and Elena looked together. She would have to talk to Riley before she left for the honeymoon cottage. Her chance to talk to Riley came, when the formalities were over, and she went to change out of her wedding gown. They were going to dance once dinner was over, and the other dress had been a surprise from Riley. Riley went with her to the bridal room. Grace looked beautiful as she finally looked at herself in the mirror. The dress was made of gossamer thread and looked delicate. It was a long, midnight blue with sequins, which flared out from the waist. (I'm not very good at describing clothes) Sheer, long sleeves with a fitted bodice, the dress was simple but when you saw the back, it made the dress stunning. There was no back, up to the waist. Two straps running across, was the only thing supporting the dress. Grace was very happy. She looked stunning. The sequins sparkled as she moved, as if the dress was alive.

Seizing the opportunity, Grace asked Riley to sit for a moment. They both sat on the bed and faced each other. "Riley, thank you so much for the dress. I love it. I wanted to talk to you about something before I go. Riley. Thank you for following my advice about Lucien. I know he was confused but, he is happy with Elena. She loves him very much and she makes him happy. Let him down gently if he tries to talk to you. He's gone through a lot. He told me what happened with the two of you and he deeply regrets how everything happened. I know he still has feelings for you but those will fade. I'm sure there's someone out there, who's made for you. I love you like a sister Riley, and I want you, to also be happy." Riley just nodded her head and squeezed Grace's hand. She smiled even while her heart shattered again. How many times, must she face pain. She had made up her mind already, but, knowing that Grace didn't want her with Lucien, hurt her feelings even more, than knowing that Lucien wasn't hers. Reassuring Grace, she stood up and held out her hand, for Grace to get up. "Don't worry about me Grace. I am fine, being on my own. I don't need a man, to keep me happy. Besides that, when will I have time? This place keeps me busy." Grace chuckled as she agreed. They left the room and walked to the reception. Grace's husband, Justin, smiled so wide that Riley thought his jaw would break. His eyes sparkled with so much love, for his wife. Riley couldn't help smiling. She loved seeing others happy.

Lucien saw Riley walk in and his heart almost stopped. She walked over to the table where Ryan and Carter sat. Roberto sat with them. He had made sure to sit near them. The bride and groom made their entrance and this took his attention away from Riley. The dancing started and he waited to seize his opportunity. When the moment came, he maneuvered Riley into his arms so smoothly, that he congratulated himself on a move, well done. He went a step further and danced her out of the room. Riley was angry and it showed on her face. Before she could open her mouth to blast him, he pulled her close and kissed her. She pulled back but not before biting his bottom lip. She ignored his cry of pain. "Lucien Sinclair! I will make this clear, for the last time. Since, I can't draw you a picture right now, I will say it slowly, so that you understand. I am not interested in starting anything with you. You are in a relationship and you should respect that. What happened between us was a mistake which will not be repeated. I, am, not, interested, in, you! Now, if you don't mind, I have a man, to get back to. Roberto is interested in me and I want to give him a chance." Riley gave him a blank stare as she walked away. Holes drilled into her back. She wasn't stupid. She had seen the look on his face. Lucien was hurt but she told herself that he would survive. He had Elena after all. She would go and pretend to have a wonderful time, with Roberto.

Lucien felt numb. His face showed none of his pain as he walked back inside and looked for Grace. He pushed all his thoughts and feelings back. Later, he would deal with them. Much later! He smiled at Grace but, his eyes looked dead. The remaining time, went by slowly, torturing him more. He couldn't wait to be alone. He needed to be, by himself. He needed to process his loss again.

He still has the next morning to try again, if he chooses to. Will he get a chance with Riley? Should he just give up and leave?