Reluctance!

In the last chapter, Riley rejected Lucien, saying that she is interested in Roberto. Lucien is devastated but at the same time, he is very confused about what he's feeling. Jeez Louise! I want to slap him.

The sun shining brightly through the open window, roused Riley from the stupor she was in. She had been so emotionally drained last night that numbness had set in. She had laughed and talked as if she didn't have a care in the world. As if, she, hadn't broken her own heart. As if, she, hadn't let the man she loved, go. A piercing pain had shot through her heart when she watched him walk away with Elena on his arm. She didn't want to think about it. "At that moment, she hated Grace. She had wanted to give in, to Lucien, despite the Pep talk from earlier. Love turns people into fools at times! Riley knew that she had to put herself first, this time. Grace didn't want her, for her brother, even knowing how much Riley had loved him. Lucien was confused and loyal to Elena. Riley needed to be the better man and step aside. She had done that. So why then, did she feel so empty and hollow? Why did she always lose those she loved?" She looked out the window and felt a moment of peace. "She could do this. She would survive again. Wiping her silent tears, she stood up. Her limbs were stiff. She stumbled then righted herself. She had survived before. She would survive again. Time to act. Hey, who knows, she might win an award for acting. After all, she was going to act in the biggest role of her life. She knew she could do this."

Misery loves company and Lucien surely did have company. Elena wouldn't leave him alone this morning. She was waiting for him, to go in to breakfast. He wasn't in the mood for breakfast. They were leaving after breakfast. He wanted to leave now. He needed to be alone. Elena wouldn't give him space to breathe. At the moment, an intense dislike for her, flowed through his body. She was looking at him, in a way, that made him uncomfortable. A distant memory surfaced. She had looked at him like that, once before. He had been sitting in the cafeteria in high school. Waiting for Riley. When Riley arrived, he pulled her onto his lap and kissed her. They had eventually pulled apart to breathe in some necessary air. Elena had walked past at the time. She bumped into a chair, scraping it loudly on the tiles, drawing his attention for a moment. She had looked at him like that, then. He had felt very uncomfortable. In fact his skin crawled. He thought, that she resembled a vicious, hungry shark. He wondered how come, he had forgotten that memory. Why was he remembering it now, and feeling repulsed. He eyed her with curiosity, as a thought leaped into his mind. Was it possible? Could Elena have something to do with the photos he received? She had been studying photography at the time. Was she the reason for his stupidity?" Lucien cleared his mind of his troubles. "Elena stop wasting time, let's go for breakfast" She looked at him, shocked at his sudden change in mood. He smiled at her, then took her arm to lead her out of his room. If Elena had known him better, she would know, that he was trying to control his rage.

The moment he walked into the dining room, Riley's eyes were drawn to him, like a homing pigeon. Her eyes met his. She looked away. "This was hard. She clenched her jaw, to prevent the smile that arose when she laid eyes on him. Her crazy heartbeats, was something, she couldn't do anything about." She carried on with ensuring that everything ran smoothly, before she went to sit with Stacy. Lucien was there, but strangely, he didn't look at her once. "Her heart felt heavy. She was also confused. Elena was giving her looks that she could not comprehend. Every time, she sensed it, she returned Elena's looks and smiled at her. What was that, all about?" Breakfast was soon over and Lucien and his family went back to their rooms, to get ready, to leave. Riley waited at the entrance of reception, to say goodbye.

Stacy teared as she hugged Riley. "Riley, don't be a stranger! I will see you soon." Smiling through her own tears, Riley hugged her hard and replied, "I won't. I promise. I will bother you so much, you will eventually hide from me." They laughed and hugged again. Eventually, only Lucien and Elena were left. Taking the bull by the horns, Riley stepped forward to hug Elena. She had just stepped away from Elena, when she was engulfed in a hug. He held her tightly. Her arms enclosed around him. Tightly. "Take care of yourself Riley." "You too, Lucien." Each savored the name of the other, on their tongues. Each let go, with reluctance. Awkwardly, they parted but didn't look at each other. Both found refuge, in looking at Stacy. Stacy was troubled. She had always wanted them, to be together. "Something about Elena, didn't sit right with her. She had always been able to read her son. He was hurting. She looked at how stiffly Riley held herself and she knew. Something had happened between them. She would need to get to the bottom of it all. That meant, that, she would have to interrogate Lucien. She wasn't oblivious to anything to do with her children. They just thought she was."

Soon, everybody was settled into the resort cars and Riley breathed a sigh of relief, as she looked at Lucien who was about to get into the car. He turned then, to look at her. No words were spoken but the look between them, said it all. "I won't give up on you Riley. I will be back. Don't even think about getting together with Roberto. You belong to me. Fate will also decide." "Goodbye Lucien my love! I pray that you will be happy with Elena. If you're ever in trouble or need my help, I will be here. Be happy my Lucien. Be happy!" Lucien got into the car and they all left. Riley stood there for long moments, watching the cars go, until she couldn't see them anymore. 

With shoulders sagging and an aching heart, Riley made her way to her office. "She had survived before, she would survive again. She just had to have faith that it would all work out for the best. Sometimes, you had to leave everything in God's hands. She had spoken to Roberto this morning. She told him her story, after he asked, if there was something between her and Lucien. She also told him that she wasn't ready yet, to date anyone. Maybe they could be friends and see where that led them. Riley knew that this time, she would be stronger. She had been through the worst and survived. She had to keep on being positive and hey, she had her family to keep her on the right path. Ryan and Carter were the pillars who held her up. What more did she need?

AN: So Lucien left, with a broken and confused heart. I kinda feel sorry for him. Roberto too. Riley, not so much. She is strong. She will be fine. Is this it now? Are they over? Is there a new chapter in their lives? Should Riley get a few cats since she doesn't want to be with anyone? Did Lucien give up on her? Will he be back for what belongs to him and him alone? Time will tell!