The Mission

Naruto's POV:

Using skillful taijutsu, I demonstrate to the young boys how to properly throw a punch and kick. As I am in the middle of showing them the technique, we are suddenly interrupted by a few young Academy girls cheering and squealing from a distance. For what reason, I have no idea. However I see Choji, Ino, and Shikamaru teasing me about it in the background, so it must have been something I did.

After my demonstration to the Academy students, I walk towards them.

"What was that about?" I ask, genuinely confused.

They burst out laughing. I start to get irritated.

"Hey! I'm serious, ya know!" I shout.

"Oh, Naruto," Ino says, wiping a tear from her eye. "You've always been so clueless about stuff like this, haven't you?"

"Stuff like what?" I ask, even more confused. "Was my technique off? I knew I should've taken more taijutsu tips from Lee..." I say, with a hand on my chin. I make a mental note to train with him some more later.

"Lord, he really is clueless," Shikamaru says.

"You're one to talk, Shikamaru. It took forever for you to ask out Temari," Choji says, munching on a granola bar.

Shikamaru blushes. "H-hey! This isn't about me!"

Choji is about to say something back when a random kunoichi interrupts.

"Naruto-kun!"

I turn around to see a kunoichi with long brown hair, parted to the side. She seemed a bit younger than me.

"Naruto-kun! I got you this!" She hands me a bouquet of flowers. "I picked it myself from the cherry blossom trees!" She tucks one of the flowers into the front pocket of my jacket.

"Oh! Um, thanks, uhhh..."

"Ayumi," She says, blushing.

"Ayumi! Right. Well uh, thanks!" I say with an awkward smile.

Although gaining the respect of the village was literally my entire life's goal, I admit it does feel weird suddenly becoming a celebrity after the war. Especially with the all the...thoughtful gifts.

Ino elbows me, giving me a knowing look. Confused by what she's implying, I give her a confused look back. I turn back to Ayumi when she awkwardly clears her throat.

"So um...I was thinking, maybe we could-"

However, she's interrupted when Sai appears.

"Come on Shikamaru, Lord Sixth needs you for a mission." Sai glances at me and tilts his head sideways. "You too Naruto, quit flirting and join us," he says.

I instantly turn red, while Ayumi sheepishly looks away. "W-what?! I'm not flirting, ya know!"

"It's okay, um, good luck Naruto-kun! We can talk later," she quietly says, rubbing her arm.

Sai rolls his eyes and grabs my arm. "Now, please."

~

Me, Shikamaru, Sai, Sakura, and Hinata all stand in the Hokage's office while Kakashi sits at his desk, reading his book. We all stand there quietly until Shikamaru awkwardly clears his throat. Kakashi suddenly looks up and sheepishly closes his book.

 Kakashi suddenly looks up and sheepishly closes his book

"Sorry about that, I was really focused on this...um...novel," he says awkwardly with a smile (or at least I think it's a smile...it's hard to tell under his mask).

Shikamaru awkwardly coughs again. "Um, no worries, Lord Sixth," he says, while Sakura giggles.

"Well anyway, I've gathered you all for a big mission. Thanks to Sai's investigations, we've discovered that there are descendants of the Otsutsuki clan that have been actively causing trouble in the Five Great Nations. It is believed they are looking for something, but we are not exactly sure what."

I freeze. "O-Otsutsuki? As in Kaguya Otsutsuki's clan?"

I shudder from flashbacks of the Fourth Shinobi War. So many loved ones were lost that day. I glance at Hinata and notice her looking down, obviously remembering Neji. Sakura comforts her.

"Yes. That clan. We need more hints on what they're up to so we can prepare, but it may be dangerous. They have been extremely active, so an attack is highly likely. I think having you guys as a team would be the best combination of strategy skills, tracking skills, strength, and power," Kakashi says.

"We're on it!" I say enthusiastically.

"Easy there, you won't be starting your mission until tomorrow. Besides, we're expecting one more member of your team. Looks like he's running a bit late, so I'll have to update him later," he says.

"Huh?" I say, scratching my head. I seem to be the only one in the group confused. Who's the last teammate? I try to think of the last few male members of the Konoha 11.

"Well we already have Hinata for tracking skills so we don't need Kiba...and Shino has too little screen time to be important..." I muttered. Sakura punches me in the stomach.

"That was so damn rude, Naruto! And stop breaking the fourth wall, you idiot!" She shouts.

Okay, she has a point.

"Okay, okay! No need to be so rough ya know, Sakura-chan," I whimper, rubbing my torso.

Kakashi clears his throat. "Anyway, your other teammate will be..."

He pauses for a moment to look in my direction and wink. What the hell?

"Sasuke."